- 1 How to drywall putty joints: plaster and tape to putty joints (video)
- 2 Putty plasterboard with their hands
- 3 As drywall putty joints - Step by step instructions
How to drywall putty joints: plaster and tape to putty joints (video)
The final stage of the preparatory work before the final finishing of the walls of plasterboard with their hands is their final alignment. Even those who take care of the carrying out of installation, there are questions for further action, the main of which is the coat of drywall joints. Failure to comply with the rules in the performance of these works may cause cracks at the joints plates.
Caulking drywall joints necessary for strength weak points drywall construction, smooth surface and maintain its attractive appearance. Without such treatment, may eventually encounter the following problems:
- On a material finishing will mesh of small cracks, which will be gradually expanded.
- The service life of the finishing material significantly reduced.
- In connection with the loss of finishing its original form would have to do additional repairs.
First and foremost for the proper carrying out of the works necessary to pick up all the necessary materials and tools:
- average width of the flexible blade spatula for applying putty.
- Putty mixture, variety choice of which depends on further finishing.
- Special putty plasterboard joints.
- Tape paper or perforated serpyanka reinforcement locations where the bonding of the sheets.
- Building a knife.
- Sandpaper grinding layer after drying.
Proven special putty that can be selected for primary processing (termination) seams, "Knauf Fugen", "Knauf Uniflott", "Volma SEAM".
If the amount of work is large, for preparing a solution necessary drill with paddle and construction bucket.
First, you need to conduct training under the drywall putty and select the type of building material.
- Joints GCR cleaned from dust, make sure that debris does not remain in the gaps between the sheets.
- On the edges subjected to cutting and to make direct factory building knife edges with recessed chamfering of 0.5 cm at an angle of 45 degrees. This procedure is obligatory and it is necessary for the greatest clutch putty plasterboard.
- Before putty joints is required to check as screws, which is attached to the drywall construction, recessed into sheets. They should not be screwed more than 0.5 cm, and at the same time, the cap must not protrude above the surface of the sheet.
- Carry out primer surface sheets. Especially carefully it is necessary to do it in places where it will overlap putty. After this treatment, putty joints drywall will be much more convenient. Especially carefully primed joints on drywall and angles.
Drywall perfect primer "Knauf Tifengrunt", which is designed for highly absorbent surfaces.
- After applying the primer must wait for complete drying and the joints primed again. Apply the primer may be by any convenient method prokraski conventional brush prior to treatment spray. Important to the uniform thickness was not less than 0.05 mm.
Carefully priming "Knauf" or other suitable structure can reduce consumption of putty.
When deciding which to use putty, guided by two basic questions:
- What will the humidity in the room. Plaster for drywall seams of gypsum-based designed for dry rooms, in the wet will flake off.
- What will be the final coating applied to the gypsum board. different types of mixtures can be applied under the wallpaper and painting. In the second case, better to choose a polymer filler.
After the primer comes the first stage of fillings - grouting. This is a very important step, and so negligent attitude to work can lead to further loss of time. The following steps are required:
- Kneaded mixture for sealing, using the manufacturer's instructions.
- To cover filler cap screws and deepen them.
- Good proshpaklevat the joints, causing the solution so that he has penetrated deep into the seam. To do this, put a spatula to seal an excessive amount of filler.
- Fill the solution the whole length of the seam. At great length they should be divided into 3-foot sections.
- Pushing gently with a spatula, as well as possible with a mixture of internal empty space of the seam.
- Remove excess protruding from the wall solution and give the place a dry joint.
[Smartcontrol_youtube_shortcode key = »putty drywall seams» cnt = »4" col = »2" shls = »true»]
Using strips of construction joints with putty
The joints drywall "Knauf" or any other processed in several ways. The best option - it is a method using special tapes.
- Serpyanka for filler or glass cloth mesh, easy to operate, it is often a self-adhesive, suitable for longitudinal joints, but experts do not recommend using serpyanku reinforce cross joints, which are particularly susceptible to cracking. It has a standard size and is therefore suitable for joints of any width and length.
- Paper tape used particularly robust, reinforced with fiberglass and a special fold in the middle, which facilitates luting angles. With good moisture absorption after mixing with the filler at the output provides a very strong reinforced compound.
Depending on the choice of material - or serpyanku tape - sealing of the seam will be slightly different technology.
The works will take place in the following sequence:
- Application putty on joints for leveling the surface. When applying the composition it is necessary to push them to fill the void inside.
- Cover serpyanku. The material must be measured and cut off the necessary length. After applying the putty layer to attach it to the solution in place engages drywall sheets, pin the entire length of the seam. After the hold on the belt surface over a wide spatula, removing excess solution.
- Not less than 12 hours to apply a second layer of putty. This time can be used as a special filler for joints and the usual finish.
The second layer is absolutely necessary, since the first shrinks.
- After drying solution necessary to produce a polishing compound. This can be done as a simple sandpaper and special attachment for grinding on drill.
- the entire surface is primed and puttied seams on the end of treatment.
Serpyanku can be adhered to and spackling. In this case, the surface is thoroughly cleaned from dust, and glued joints grid. To press for gluing it must be tight to avoid wrinkling. Fillers for joints must be applied over serpyanku by pressing in the flexible material is in mesh with a spatula and the cells are distributed throughout the length of the seam thin uniform layer.
joint puttying using perforated paper tape
Operation is as follows:
- Preparations seams.
- Primed joints.
- Filled joints.
- Next, putty drywall seams, causing a thin layer of the mixture, which will hold the tape.
- Superimposed perforated tape. When gluing it is necessary to slightly pull, keeping exactly the joint center and then smooth on a solution to avoid creases and air bubbles. Press down with a spatula, gently slide it from the middle to the ends. Excess filler along the tape removed.
- After 12 hours, applied to a second layer of filler.
- After drying the surface is polished, and then you can proceed to sealing of an entire wall.
When properly filling and shpaklevanii joint seam location will be flush with the surface of the sheet of drywall and will not stand out.
See how it's performed putty seams at the joints sheets of drywall can be in the video. In the records explains how to putty, which is better to choose for this mixture, and whether it is possible to perform the data operation.
Work on the grouting quite time-consuming and messy, but decided to save your budget at this stage, it is possible to lose more. No strong framework fails to protect the space docking sheets from vibrations, shocks and vibrations, resulting in loose plaster begins to crack and fall out.
Putty plasterboard with their hands
To drywall constructions bought a finished look, it should be proshpaklevat. As drywall putty, lead angles, repaired joints - all in this article.
Do I need to putty drywall?
Extra work do not want anyone. In addition, the putty - a long complicated process, which takes away a lot of time. It is reasonable to question arises - why putty smooth surface of gypsum boards. Maybe when finishing can do without it? When certain types of finishes can be, but not for all.
You always have to seal joints sheets, angles, and cap screws. For any type of finish. GCR necessarily putty before painting. The surface of the drywall is far from perfect, and new bumps are added during transportation and installation. If the paint surface without leveling, they will all be clearly visible, especially if there is a small degree of gloss.
Preparing the drywall under wallpapering - only putty joints after primed surface
Knauf firm - one of the leaders in the manufacture of gypsum board - allows for tile and wallpaper the entire surface of the sheet is not putty. Only the joints, corners and screws. For laying tile nobody puttied, but under the wallpaper - yes. And all because the pasted without pre-treatment in places torn wallpaper along with cardboard and sometimes - up to gypsum. So putty simply inevitable for a second time.
Do without putty entire sheet surface is possible using a primer. In this case, the primer is diluted with water vodonodispersionnaya acrylic paint. It creates a film on the surface, which interacts well with glue, but also, this film does not damage the cardboard upon peeling off the wallpaper.
For painting should be putty, plaster board fully, and to perfection
So, drywall putty completely necessary for painting, it is desirable - for pasting wallpaper (at least in one layer) and repaired only screws and joints for tiling.
Primer for gisokartona: why, what and when
Primer performs two different functions. The first - it improves adhesion (coupling) of the two materials. As a result, puttying reduced chance of blistering, delamination of the material. The second function - it aligns absorbency. Score - less material consumption, while putty - a smooth surface. So skip the primer is undesirable.
Blot with finishing works, in theory, it is necessary before each new operation. For example, before the primer filler need drywall sheets to improve adhesion with filler. Before painting or pasting wallpaper - to reduce the consumption of paint and glue. Also need a primer before applying the finishing layer - have to start to level, which is why it turns the dusty surface. Without primer topcoat processing goes bad slipping and can even fall off.
Primer for plasterboard firm Ceresit (Ceresit) is also suitable for interior works
What primer necessary? It depends on the stage and the type of finishing material:
- Before filler giposkartona (starting and finishing coat) primer used for deep penetration of porous or absorbent surfaces well.
- The same structure can be used for painting and wallpapering.
- Under wallpaper puttied surface of GCR can be primed with wallpaper paste, diluted with water. The proportions indicated on the package with glue.
- Under painting is necessary to look at the manufacturers' recommendations. Sometimes primer - paint, diluted with water. If no other instructions, to use part of deep penetration.
To summarize is to say that a primer - a necessary operation. It allows you to get a good result and reduce material consumption.
Technology: the sequence of work
After plasterboard sheets are fixed to the frame is time for the preparation to finish the drywall finish. Consider the case of a complete cycle - paintable. In this case, putty plasterboard should be at least two layers. Under other less demanding on the quality surface finishes just remove unnecessary steps. The procedure works like this:
- Coating primer deep penetration.
- Filling the holes from the screws.
- Caulking joints using serpyanku-mesh or special paper tape.
- Sealing angles - external and internal.
- Drywall Primer.
- Putty the entire surface of the starting lineup and polishing irregularities.
- Primer for giposkartona.
- Plaster finishing coat composition and roughness.
- Primer coating for finishing.
Putty plasterboard with their hands - studying the nuances
A few words about what is better to use putty to giposkartona. Suitable any - or gypsum-based polymers (latex). Polymeric fillers are usually finishing - they give a very thin layer, and a smooth surface. Gypsum is and starting and finishing. The difference in the size of the particles. Use can be any, as long as the quality was good.
There are two forms of release putty plasterboard - dry in bags and diluted in a bucket. The dry before application must be diluted with water in the indicated proportions and stir to dissolve clots. The compositions of the buckets are ready to work, but are more expensive. But guaranteed to have no lumps.
Before putty plasterboard, gruntuem surface. Any primer is applied on the dry clean surface. Because pre-remove contamination from the surface, remove dust (can be vacuumed or damp cloth). After that, prepare the ground for the instructions (sometimes you have to be diluted with water, sometimes just enough to stir), pour into a container and applied with a brush or roller.
Priming: choose a convenient way for you to
Drywall Primer is for dry and wet rooms. Bathroom and kitchen, choose a primer for wet rooms, for others can be any. When choosing a soil notice the presence of antibacterial components. They prevent the development of mold and mildew. This is especially true for the kitchen and bathroom.
Usually it is sufficient to put structure into a single layer of drywall primer, but in the kitchen or bathroom can be two: to ensure results. After drying of the soil (time specified in the instructions) can proceed to the next step.
For joints have special formulations Knauf Fugen (Knauf-Fugen), Uniflot Knauf (Knauf Uniflot), Fyugenfyuller (Fugenfuller) and analogs thereof. After drying the soil to breed putty consistency of thick cream. Note that the putty dries quickly, because at one time a small amount of dilute.
Take a small spatula, they put on the place of installation screws up, remove the excess. Putty in this place should be just enough to the surface was smooth. Thus we pass all the screws. They can be sealed in parallel with the seams, and you can - in the first place. It does not matter.
The principle of work with putty - at the edge of the spatula is placed from the roller, then it is stretched in the right place
Drywall joints have two types. Along the long side edges are uneven GCR - for easier incorporation of the joint. But the sheets are joined in height, losing no. Still have to cut sheets and the connection is also obtained butt. Such connections require special technology and it later.
When putty vertical joints with normal plasterboard factory edges carefully fill them first, then glued.
After filling, while the composition is still wet, it is sized mesh serpyanku or paper reinforcement tape. It is necessary that at the joints formed at the cracks. If tape is used, its tearing at the desired pieces, soaked in pure water for 10 minutes (until the filled suture).
The tape is recessed to the desired length
By filling the seam tape take out, holding the excess water is removed between the fingers, is adhered over the seam. After taking spatula 8 cm wide (this is required) and the tape is pressed below the surface of the GCR. She "sits" on one of the factory projections. Dent begin from the middle to the edges. Indentation from the extruded tape plaster, collect it. As a result, when put to a hard surface spatula (width not less than 20 cm), it is seen that the ribbon is below the surface of the paperboard. Then again pass putty, leveling the joint level with the surface.
Putty drywall in places horizontal joints - where two plates are connected or vertical, but without edges better after pretreatment. First, the surface is moistened with water - a brush dipped in water and well lubricate the junction. Walk several times - to plaster wet. Then, a sharp knife cut grooves at an angle of 45 °. The treatment of these joints can be carried out before priming. It is even more convenient.
Preparing the joints to putty
Trained joints coat with soil. In this case, it is more convenient to use a brush. Once dry, fill the seam compound for putty joints drywall. The preferred working spatulas 10 cm wide and 20 cm rigid. Small plot the composition, remove a large excess. Fill well, pushing the composition into the seam. If you did everything correctly, forms a small cushion, slightly protruding above the surface.
Once again pass the seam by applying fresh putty about 0.5 mm in thickness, soaked take reinforcement tape and sticking it to this composition. Take the 8 cm wide spatula and presses the tape to the well surface, squeezing surplus putty from beneath it.
Caulking edged seams on the GCR
This forms the wave of paper (photo visible), it follows that it is not restive, catch up to its end where it is straightened. Remove any excess solution in the tape and the adjacent region of the sheet. And the last stage - once again take a putty and coat with a thin layer of tape pasted on top. This layer is made as thin as possible, as they say - "to tearing." Actually, we stretch the remaining plaster very thin layer.
The second technology, first tape then putty
There is a second technology - at first gypsum paste serpyanku or paper reinforcement tape, then it shpaklyuyut. So it is faster, but the disadvantage - voids that remain under the tape. In these places may wrinkle wallpaper or cracking plaster, decorative plaster.
So serpyanku glued to drywall
Yet instead of paper tape using a grid-serpyanku. Cerpyankoy work harder - it is rigid and its edge often stick out from the solution. To make it a little easier to reach pre-paste, after drying glue shpaklyuyut. Not to think about the glue and accelerate the work, using self-adhesive serpyanku (there is such).
EXAMPLE weld fillers with serpyanku
But, anyway, putty plasterboard so difficult - the surface is uneven, trowel "rides" on the fibers and turns small wave, which really hard to make amends.
- reinforcement of paper;
- perforated aluminum corners;
- special metal corners Shitrok with paper.
Perforated corners are different, but it is more convenient to work with metal corners Shitrok
Paper and serpyanku often trim interior angles - the junction of the walls, and the walls and ceiling. The technology is similar to caulking. An angle is applied a certain amount of putty, it is pasted paper or serpyanka, narrow spatula reinforcing strip is pressed into the composition, the excess putty removed. After this angle again tested by applying a thin top layer of plaster.
Perforated corners used for decoration of the outer corners - slopes, ledges, etc. First cut piece of a desired length. The metal is very thin, cut even conventional large pair of scissors, but if there is a pair of scissors for metal work easier. The edges are cut at an angle of 45 ° or less, but not at 90 °. So, when puttying plasterboard margin is not screwed on.
Making the outer corners of plasterboard walls using perforated corner
At the outer corner on both sides is applied to coat small islets approximately every 10 cm (may be staggered). The solution was pressed into a perforated area, is checked by vertical or horizontal installation is corrected. Selected spatula excess solution aligning edges in one plane with the surface of the sheet. Established left corner for a while - up putty dry, then grind again shpaklyuyut if necessary.
What distinguishes the metal corner Shitrok (Sheetrock)? Thin strips of metal deposited on a paper basis. They are more stringent than simply reinforcing the paper, but working with them is more convenient than conventional perforated, as by the presence of the paper plane in the transition smoother turns.
If during grouting on plasterboard good leveling layer, polishing can be minimized. Why is it better to grind lower? Because firstly, it is a long time, in the second place - dusty. And dust is very shallow for a long time flying in the air and from any movement rises again. To reduce the amount of flying dust, the floor can be laid a wet cloth, damp sawdust, etc. Doors leading out of the room, close the wet cloth, it must be greater than the size of the door - so that dust does not scatter to other rooms.
For starters, you can go even sharp spatula, cut all the most protruding bumps. Further grinding process. That as corners and seams in this phase cleaned to perfect smoothness is required, take the mesh for grinding to a cell in the 180-200 and a wooden block. To attach the mesh bar (can be staples of the staple gun, but the brackets must not stick). This device level the surface. When the highlight is desirable oblique light - can not hide all the bumps. But putty drywall under the wallpaper, you can not as well.
There are special derzhak for the grid, but you can do bar
One more thing - better to grind a respirator and goggles. Will not be superfluous gloves. The dust is very fine and gets literally everywhere. After the seams and corners sanded, primed surface again. Moreover, all completely, as in the untreated plots also settled dust, and it deteriorates the adhesion.
Most uncomfortable place to putty and grinding - internal corners. Secrets of a fast high-quality grinding angles see the following video.
As drywall putty: Alignment surfaces
For putty surfaces need a large spatula - with a blade 40 cm or more and a narrow -. 10 cm The first layer is applied to the starting filler. She put a layer of about 5 mm (maximum is necessary to look in the manual to a specific putty) and hide all the bumps. Dilute it with water to a thick cream, stir thoroughly to avoid lumps.
These spatulas are needed for drywall putty over the entire surface
putty plasterboard surface technique is simple: take a large spatula, at its end by means of a small spatula, spread the cushion of putty. We press the blade against the surface and stretch the composition. Repeat several times, filled with some piece of a wall or ceiling. Then we clean the blade, and hold on the newly plastered surfaces, leveling it. Align need as carefully as possible - less than the required time for polishing.
When the drywall putty finished, wait until dry. Then take the familiar tool - bar with a grid and align all the flaws. Grinding is completed, take away the dust and the surface again pass primer deep penetration. After drying begin to spray a second layer.
So keep the spatula
Next, putty plasterboard should be finishing composition. As written, it can also be based on gypsum, as the starter, and can be based on polymers. Suited both of them, but with some work harder - they quickly begin to roll down and solidify.
Putties made thinner and thinner layer is applied. Application technique is similar, nothing changes. In addition to being difficult to work - worse spreads, but we must stretch a thin layer and quickly align. On the dirt road is much better, but without the lower layer quickly draws moisture from the fresh plaster, and she begins to slide. After applying the final putty again, wait until they dry and then begin to level off. But this time, do not use the net - of it are still visible groove, and sandpaper fine grain. Her work is not as convenient - it quickly becomes clogged, but a smooth surface is obtained. If the surface is ready for painting, lighting make the bottom or on the side and you can not use an incandescent lamp and an LED - all the flaws are visible. Even very small.
About how to putty plasterboard hard to tell the words - movement is difficult to describe. In the video you can spy on how to keep the spatula, as they move, how to apply and remove the solution. Details, see the video technology.
As drywall putty joints - Step by step instructions
The repair is very important to reduce it to its logical conclusion. For example, when erected the walls of plasterboard special attention should be paid to the process of spackling. It seems to be thought - such a small thing, but demands the approach and ability.
If you've never imposed plaster on drywall, in this article you will find everything you need to learn it.
In order to achieve a perfectly flat wall, it takes a lot of effort
Once a wall or partition made of plasterboard (see. Also how to make a partition wall of plasterboard) are erected, you can proceed to the surface treatment and its preparation for finishing. To do this, stock up on tools and building materials:
- Drill with paddle "mixer". You can certainly do without it, but the tool is much more efficient workforce, do not abandon progressive "helpers."
- A mixing solution. Suitable conventional bucket, if nothing more than aesthetic is not at hand.
- Brush and spatula. Spackling drywall joints is better to carry out a wide spatula, the minimum size of 100 mm, for large areas it is more convenient to use 350-400 mm.
- The fine-grained sandpaper or sanding mesh.
- Building a knife.
Many experts advise to buy a small trowel (30-40 mm), which is useful for applying putty on the screws.
Now let's look at what is necessary for the workflow:
- Plaster for drywall joints. Yet it can be called a 'jointing'.
- Tape for reinforcing joints. You can use ordinary masking tape.
- The finish coat of drywall.
Take advantage of ready-mix, which is sold in buckets. Price it a little higher, but the quality is much superior to all the dry putty.
It is essential for all of our work, therefore, should not be on anything save. If you give up on any stage, you can pay for it in the future hasty repairs.
The first thing that is required - to clean the surface of drywall dust and mortar splashes.
- Pick up a trowel and holding it at an angle of 30 degrees, slide across the surface.
- In those places where it will cling, try to gently cut the contamination.
- If the spatula rests on the bonnet of the screw, so it should be drowned at 0.5-1 mm from the surface.
- Surface dust is removed with a slightly damp cloth, carefully clearing drywall joints. Try not too wet places, where there is damage to the paper layer.
Now you need to make a bevel in the joints of sheets when it is not. For this purpose, the ordinary knife that you prune the material at an angle of 45 degrees.
Do not pay attention to the evenness of the bevel - it does not affect the quality of the applied putty
Do not try to make it too deep, enough 2-3 mm, so that the solution quality grappled.
But that's not all, before you will be putty joints drywall surface must be primed.
For its application is better to use a wool roller, it is a much better way to rub the primer into the surface, rather than a brush.
- Using one of the available tools should be thoroughly soak the entire surface of the walls.
- Particularly acute attention to those places where the screws and joints.
It now remains to wait until the first coat is dry, it may take a few hours (see on the packaging mix).
The final step in the preparatory work will label reinforcing tape. As we have said, this will suit ordinary masking tape. Look at the picture should look like the walls, prepared for application of putty.
In this case, a special reinforcing mesh to improve the adhesion of the fabric
So we got to the most important - the putty joints drywall.
- The process of kneading putty. This procedure should be carried out in accordance with the fact that reads instructions on the package.
Do not try to invent anything new and used "anonymous sources" - plaster from different manufacturers can vary not only in composition, but also the method of mixing.
It is not necessary to cook a lot at once a mixture as shelf life is short enough. Assess your strength and break the working area into several parts.
If the room is small, you can do one kneading.
- Using a spatula, apply the plaster on drywall surface in small quantities.
Try not to leave on the surface of apparent irregularities, which can cause problems when cleaning
- Carefully smear the mixture on the joint, that never had extra "irregularities."
- A small spatula seal the cap screws.
- Wait until the plaster is dry, and with a large spatula, remove any lumps.
Irregularities can be cleaned with sandpaper
- Once again, we use a primer, treat her all-new joints.
- Now comes the finishing putty joints drywall. To do this, use a wide spatula. A layer of filler should not exceed the thickness of 1.5 mm.
Scraping the surface finish of the walls filler with a wide spatula
- Make sure to remove all traces of putty with spatula. Before smoothing the mixture necessarily dampen tool in the water.
- For ease of application, use a plastic bowl, not a bucket.
- Do not break the way to prepare the mixture, as much liquid coat will take longer to dry and too thick will turn lumpy.
Now you know how to drywall putty joints independently, without referring to the builders services.
Agree, the process is fairly simple and does not require you any special efforts (see. Also sealing drywall seams). And yet, we suggest you watch the video: how to putty joints of plasterboard with their hands, which can be examined by all the above processes. We wish you success in the repair!
- Shelves, racks
Preparation before installation
- Crate, skeleton, profile
- tool selection
- Sealing of seams and joints
- Installation of wiring, sockets
- Working with glue
types of drywall
The combination of the materials
- With tiles
- With wallpaper
indoor installation Features
- Bathroom, toilet
- Living room