- 1 Curbs bath, ceramic, plastic and other
- 2 Borders Bathroom
- 3 Ceramic frieze on the bath - advantages and features of the installation
Curbs bath, ceramic, plastic and other
Creating an interior bathroom, everyone wants it beautifully issue by resorting to modern building materials. During inevitably and framing their time installing baths appearance of cracks can be produced using a border for a bath. It acts as a decorative element, but also serves as a sealing gap between the bathtub and the wall. Border bathroom is of various kinds, which are the differences in their form, material of manufacture. The most common and affordable material, which is made from a curb, is plastic.
Especially in the selection border
In order to understand how to choose a border for the bathroom, you need to consider some points, namely:
- how paneling material. If the room is finished with PVC panels, it is therefore necessary to choose a border of the same material;
- bath coating material - for example, the use of acrylic plinth only occurs when installing acrylic bathtub;
- width of the gap between the bath and the wall. For large slits best option would be the use of plastic moldings in a corner;
- financial capacity - some skirting board in their characteristics are not inferior to expensive materials, so even with smaller financial possibilities can be made safe, beautiful, high-quality framing.
The most common types of borders
Each type has its advantages and disadvantages, but for all of them must meet the following requirements:
- the main requirement is water resistant;
- easy installation;
- so that was resistant to active detergents, and are not picky in care;
- and not be influenced by the spread of mold;
- did not yield after the time of deformation.
The most commonly used types of borders are:
acrylic curb ceramic border plastic border Self-adhesive border
Its production takes place on the basis of PVC. The advantages of PVC curbs are:
- Installation is much easier than with other types of materials, and it can carry out each;
- In the case of dismantling, it is possible to re-use plastic edging;
- the material is highly resistant to the emergence and spread of mold;
- a variety of colors allows you to make a visual deception, simulating the plastic trim under wood or tiled;
- Plastic border for a bath is resistant to mechanical stress;
- It does not require special care;
- reasonable price products;
- the main advantage of this type of skirting is its versatility. Plastic is suitable for almost any material, which are lined with panels.
The disadvantage is only one point, they were not long-term operation, due to a lack of tightness.
The main characteristics of PVC curbs:
- curb bath is set by the adhesive (Silicone or liquid nails);
- their dimensions may be different, there is no standard;
- Fittings which comes with its borders has side caps, inner connecting angle;
- Some species have rubberized edges for a more reliable, high-quality fit to the panel and bath;
- have two styles:
- outdoor installation is carried out after laying the tiles;
- internal, is performed when mounting the curb Bathroom Tile, between the tub and the wall. Having no experience in installing this way, job best left to professionals, to exclude the likelihood of leaks.
- PVC curbs are executed in different colors, different textures, shapes. For example, if you have an oval bath, apply the PVC curb better with high flexibility, elasticity, and for improved sealing with rubber coated edges. PVC skirting suitable not only for the framing of the bath, but when you install the sink;
- installation of plastic curbs should be carried out after plugging the gap between the panel and the bathroom sealant. It is necessary for, if in the case of peeling baseboards, there was no flow of water under the bath.
The most common form, is a PVC border as a corner. This species has several advantages:
- low cost and can be found in any hardware store;
- due to the absence of adhesive, there is a possibility of selection of Bole qualitative composition for fixing PVC corner;
- used even with large gaps between the tub and wall panel, which gives an advantage for choosing a plastic corner;
- It gives additional bathroom fixation and is not exposed to vibration;
- humidity resistant.
Selling it is carried out in most cases, complete with tiles. Its purpose is the same as that of the plastic, it is closing gaps between the bath and the wall. Tile border can be installed on the floor, and use as a decorative element. Ceramic border has all the advantages inherent in the tile, namely:
- strength and durability;
- waterproofness and high-quality sealing gaps;
- Ceramic moldings has a smooth surface, whereby it is easily accomplished wash. It is resistant to various detergents;
- It has a good ability to endure temperature variations.
Ceramic frieze has the drawback is its fragility. Due to the fact that the ceramic moldings is acting, there is likelihood of damage to it from falling objects. When you work with them as you have to be very careful.
What are the varieties:
- "Pencil", is the product that looks like a thick cord. It used to close small or narrow joints for framing pieces of furniture;
- Area, its appearance is similar to the plinth. It used to close the large gaps between the tub and the panels;
- frieze, this tile, the bottom of which is formed as a curb. Tiled border is considered the most popular type, requires care in its installation.
During the acquisition of the ceramic skirting bath should pay attention to the presence of its components are internal and external corner component elements, thanks to which, laying the curb between the bath and the wall will be high-quality, especially if there's trouble spots.
The main characteristics that note:
- installation can be done in two ways, curb bath under the tile and on the outer part of it, after the end of the process laying;
- ceramic border as was said above, has a durable, solid structure, thereby preventing its deformation ambulance;
- ceramic material is eco-friendly, moisture-proof. This quality significantly affects the outcome of the selection border to finish the bath;
- ceramic tiled plinth, with proper care, a long time does not change the appearance. Unlike plastic borders, which after some time of use lose their whiteness and become visible on the background wall panels, ceramics is a long time remain unchanged.
It is mainly used for finishing of acrylic bathtubs. Its function is not worse than that of other materials. The main advantages also:
- waterproofness and strength;
- reliable, high-quality waterproofing;
- simple installation - to carry out the installation of acrylic plinth can each;
- long service life.
The disadvantage is that its application is not suitable for all materials, which are made decoration. Acrylic plinth also serves as a decorative element, so using them, the room is separated visually, as bath with skirting consisting of a single type of material looks like one. Acrylic is environmentally friendly and safe material, does not produce toxic substances. Installation of acrylic border similar to ceramic.
It is a tape made of polyethylene, silicone or PVC. It is represented by a roll of tape, one side of which is coated with an adhesive, which is based on butyl, so that the tape is securely attached to the surface of the panel and bath. She copes with the tasks, and it also has a lot of advantages:
- low cost and availability;
- water resistance, so its application is widely used in kitchens, bathrooms, baths and saunas;
- easy installation, which can realize any person;
- It does not require the purchase of additional funds for high-quality sealing gaps;
- good ductility, so the tape is easy to hide all sorts of irregularities and defects;
- tape has a resistance to mechanical damage and temperature changes;
- Self-adhesive border has fungicidal additives for additional protection against fungus;
- It has a great variety of colors and different sizes, so that the tape can be matched to any color panels, as well as under any width of the gap;
- to facilitate mounting in the kit provided from plastic applicators. Using them, fit the belt to the surface will be much tighter, and they need to perform the right of the right angle.
The lack of it is short-lived and after a couple of years, it needs to be changed. Also, if you select a white ribbon, very quickly lost his snow-white. In order to quality and belt life was longer, before gluing it is best to seal the seam sealant.
Securing borders between the bath and the wall "on a tile" is considered to be the most reasonable solution, since its lifetime is less than the tile. Therefore, to change the baseboards come more often than the cladding.
In conclusion, to all the above, it may be noted that the curbs varieties have their own distinctive qualities, but a single property for all of them is water resistance, practicality, the ability to act not only in the role of waterproofing, as well as decorating element. Care for all of them is in the handling, cleaning with conventional detergents. The most common type, available both in terms of financial costs and acquired, is a plastic border, which valued its practicality and ease of installation. With all the good qualities of his, unfortunately, there is a drawback, it is a short period of operation. Therefore, at least two ways to install it under the tile and her mount better to produce the second method, after the completion of the wall decoration. Ceramic border is also in demand. Its price is significantly different from the plastic, but it is no less popular because of its durability.
Add a comment cancel reply
The calculation of the required number of materials
About us / Mission
Bathroom renovation can be a simple, "Soviet", and can be stylish and modern.
The mission of our project to help you make a good repair yourself and cost-effective!
- Copying of materials is permitted only with an active link back to the source.
Borders for baths designed for closing and sealing the gap between the bathtub and the wall. This flaw is very dangerous tendency to initiate the occurrence of mold. Therefore, the elimination of the gap between the bathtub and the wall not only gives a more gracious appearance, but also helps to normalize the indoor climate.
There are several types of borders for baths:. Ceramic, plastic, self-adhesive and other examples, see the photo.
Why is there a gap and the more fraught
The gap between the bath and the wall is formed in two cases: piled walls (no right angle in the joints of the walls) or broken finishing sequence.
The classic version defines the following sequence:
In this sequence, tiles, mosaic (or other material used for the walls) will lie on the rim of a bathtub. And it ensures that no gap.
But in some cases, you may need to replace a bath after finishing the walls, and then there are gaps.
Ventilation under the bathtub is extremely weak. Stagnation leads to the fact that in a favorable microclimate begin to develop molds. Mold, in the gap between the bathtub and the wall not only spoils the appearance of its blackness, but also spoils the air in the room. Dark and slimy plaque is not immediately visible to the eye, but the smell of damp and decay, even with forced ventilation will be felt all the time. Especially when the temperature rises in the room. And in addition to odor, mold spores themselves can enter the body and cause the occurrence of infectious diseases.
This explanation should be enough, but there is the aesthetic factor. Slit without decor on the perimeter of the bathroom as a fly in the ointment, spoils the impression of a beautiful renovation.
Yes, the old fashioned way, such a gap can be simply gloss over the grout. After drying of it, paint it in a dominant color. But it's so ugly that the feasibility of using a border no one questioned.
Choosing among the many proposals should be dictated not only by the desire for beauty and refinement, but also a valid combination of materials and the wall of the curb. For example, if the walls are decorated with plastic lining, even exceptionally beautiful and elegant granite curb, will look like a saddle on a cow.
So first you need to carry out a gradation of all kinds of borders. At the same time, the most objective assessment, will the division of the material of the border. And so, they all fall into two broad categories:
Stand out rubber and stainless steel (stainless steel) borders. Mounting them is not fundamentally different from other types of profile, because details will not be considered.
A common feature of all borders is their extremely low water absorption. Separately, you can say that the mineral species curbs do not have the flexibility, but the polymer can be bent at any angle. To do this, they need only be heated in boiling water.
By the way, the question of border selection for a particular bathroom caused exclusively aesthetic compatibility and dimensions of the gap between the wall and the bathtub. The compatibility of different materials in terms of fixing the border to the base, is not considered. Glue can be anything, what is required. Therefore, we consider each type of border basis.
Depending on the size of the gap, there are several different ways to close up the gap.
- The slit width of 3 mm is first filled with a silicone sealant, and after drying it is already possible to decorate this place a border.
- The slit up to 25 mm, right border close immediately. But at the same time, by selecting the curb to the bath, remember: border width for the bathroom should be three times greater than the width of the slit! This rule ensures that the border will be 2/3 on the rim around the tub. This arrangement will ensure reliable fixation.
- The gap of more than 3 cm, in principle, is no longer a gap. It must be removed by pouring a solution. To this end, under the bathroom makes a cameo in the formwork and indentations filled with the solution. In this case, it is best to use a solution based on epoxy resins. They possess a number of properties that differentiate them from the cement-gypsum mixtures. And after drying of this solution, it is possible to carry out laying curb.
There is in this work is one caveat - the angle at which the horizon is placed curb? It seems obvious that a clear angle of 45 ° will emphasize the severity of the composition and contribute to a better draining of water. But if the gap is large enough, then laid decorative border can serve as a shelf for sanitary accessories. And on such a steep surface is nothing to hold on will not. Therefore, maintaining an angle of not more than 5 °, can "kill two birds with one stone." Firstly, for the rolling drops of water this angle is sufficient, and secondly, for slipping hygiene this angle will be small. Yachnoe more understanding of technology can be obtained by viewing the video.
The properties of the ceramic, marble and granite curb the same. But for convenience, it will consider the most common - tiled.
In the ceramic borders, there are two prevailing characteristics. The first - and second durability - fragility. And all this at a relatively high price. Although the run-up in prices in this segment of finishing materials is incredibly broad! So, curbs domestic manufacturers, measuring 6 by 30-35 cm, can be bought for 30 rubles / piece. And the same part of the Italian production, will cost 24,000 (!) Rubles / piece. Ceramic Bead profile Corda Platinum costs about 180 p / pc.
To install the ceramic frieze need:
- Ceramic border (size 35x35 mm can, if space allows).
- Clean cloth.
- White Spirit.
- Rubber spatula.
- Laser level.
- Tile (or bolgarka with a cutting disc).
There is a true opportunity, put homemade, surrogate or ceramic tile border. Those can be made to, from the tiles that decorate the walls in the bathroom. But you need to have a sufficient number of tiles and tile cutter (grinder with cutting wheel) in the reserve, a ruler, a pencil and emery cloth.
To their hands to put a border for the bathroom, it should be noted on the tile required distance, draw a line and cut the desired part. the cut edge to be processed sandpaper.
If you have everything ready, then you can start. You must first install the laser level directly in the bath. Adjust the horizontal beam so that the edge of the curb adjacent to the wall, was raised by 5 mm. When the curb width of 5-6 cm, it just will make an angle of 5-8 °. Now we curb smear glue, and carefully set it into place. Vertical laser beam will help to maintain the level. After installing the first tile, similar to proceed with the second and subsequent.
should say about the angular tiles. If desired elements you will not find on sale, but you can get around the corner in the bathroom: do trough curb their own hands. This requires to mark the tile, and it washed down a 45 ° angle grinder using a miter box.
After drying, the adhesive can begin to grouting. This should be done as well as the grouting between the tiles. But here buying grouting composition, try to choose a mixture of latex-based. It has excellent water-repellent properties and excellent adhesion.
Demonstrating imagination, you can make framed mirror, creating a single composition in the bath.
Being cheaper finishing materials, plastic curbs bath have a wider range. In particular, they are:
- Internal (assembled together with the tile).
- Exterior (installed after the tiles).
- Consisting of two parts (bipartite profile).
Each of these borders may be self-adhesive. Width varies, up to 30-50 mm. Single standard length for these products do not. The set may be curbs or 1.8 m long, 3 m. The height of this element also varies, depending on the height of the bath. Therefore getting a pay heed to the total length of the strips. The situation is similar with prices. The minimum value of such a kit bath comprising apart from the curb, and a stub corner elements, starting at 250 p., At its simplest appearance. This category applies to the profile of "swallow" the convenience and beauty of which is appreciated by many masters. The most popular is the profile of firms progress plast, profiles and kolpa san, makroplast.
For installation required:
- Plastic border for a bath.
- Silicone sealant.
- Hacksaw (her small teeth).
- Acetone (solvent).
If you view the reviews, it turns out that such curbs to stick very easily. First required wiped dry workplace from dust and moisture, degrease. Then, it is necessary to measure the desired length, to put it on the plastic and cut off a curb on its stuslo at 45 °. Regardless of whether you are self-adhesive at the curb or not, we recommend the additional use of silicone sealant. It will increase the bond strength and serve as an additional guarantee of water resistance. You can then apply silicone sealant to the border for a bath and put him in the slot.
Accessories and curbs can be purchased at any store that sells construction materials. If you have purchased a plastic edging to corners, then place strips connection, install these elements. If not, the joint between two planks additionally glued with silicone sealant. In the latter case, redo the failed element can be used only if the sealant is not grasped.
Flexible sealing adhesive tape
This is the cheapest and easiest way to seal the gap between the bathtub and the wall. Such sealed sticker is made of high density polyethylene, 150 microns thick. On the back of these tapes manufacturer suffered butyl adhesive. Shelf life of 2 years fascia ribbon. This is very little compared to ceramic border, but this is compensated by the low price. The cost of such bands starts from 100 rubles per roll 3.5 m in length.
For bonding flexible sealing adhesive tape, you will need:
- The tape itself.
- Silicone sealant.
- Acetone (or any solvent).
- Clean cloth.
- Building a knife.
Before gluing, it is necessary to prepare the workplace. Surface which will adhere curb tape, thoroughly cleaned and degreased with a solvent. Then you need to draw a horizontal line to comply with the severity of the line. Silicone sealant walk along the slot, and fill the cavity. Only after that, you can start gluing ribbon curb.
Detach the substrate from the adhesive layer should not be more than 15 cm. Gluing start of the tub edge. Is pressed against one side of the tape is very tight, and squeeze out any air bubbles (if they appear). Important: Do not stretch the tape! When he reached the corner of the bathroom, gently bend the tape and continue to paste on. When he reached the edge of the bathtub, cut the ribbon and treat the edges with silicone sealant.
In the corners, fold should appear. It must be cut with a knife construction. Place cut grease with a thin layer of sealant, and cut a strip of ribbon width of 2 cm., close the seam.
After the work, let the day butyl adhesive for curing.
This material can be used for sinks. A major advantage in this case is the possibility of self-glue who quit element
Although foam skirting board is not designed for sealing the gap between the bathtub and the wall, but they are successful and manage this task. Their advantage:
- Lowest price (15 p / MP.).
- Wide availability.
- Ease of performance.
Of course, there are parts of the foam and negative qualities:
- Can not withstand shock and crash loads (compression).
But for all that, they are easy to replace, so if you want, you can put them in the gap between the bathtub and the wall.
To work required:
- Foam corner.
- Silicone sealant.
- Building a knife.
- Acetone (solvent).
- Clean cloth.
Before starting work, the treated surface of the bath and the wall is cleaned from dust, moisture and degreased with acetone. Then you need to measure out the desired length strips, and cut it with a knife construction. If you start to glue on the edge of the bath, in the corner of the room, the cut must be at an angle of 45 °. To cope with this task you can use the miter box. Warning: before sticking the first item, be sure to prepare the second. Washed it down, and make sure the connection is correct.
Now it is necessary to smear the sealant foam on the curb bathroom and attach it to the seat. Gently but firmly press the delete speaking sealant with a clean cloth.
Similarly, all the elements carried sticking. Having finished the work, let the time for the sealant to be cured. TIP: After drying, the sealant can be painted foam latex border. This will give all the decorative design uniform coating.
When working with any border for a bath, including the use of acrylic, we recommend the use of silicone sealant. From personal experience, we can recommend to buy this work silicone sealant for aquarium. He has a number of properties that can be very well used in sealing of the gap between the bathtub and the wall.
Useful article? Rate and add to my favorites!
Ceramic frieze on the bath - advantages and features of the installation
Even a professional, experienced professional when installing a bath between it and the wall remains a slight gap, what can we say about the beginning craftsman who performs the installation of their own hands.
The gap in this vulnerable spot arises from the curvature of the surface of walls, violations of sequence of works or uneven edges of the product. If the bath is lined with beautiful tiles, then seal the joint place will help curb ceramic bathroom which organically flow into the interior space. In this article we will explain what a tiled corner, how to choose it, and then install.
Ceramic Area - decorative element, manufactured from a tile of the same color and texture as tiles, used to protect the junction between the tub and the wall of the penetration of moisture, which often causes moisture, odors or propagation of mold or fungus.
Professional masters called this item "quirk", but this term is much rarer. Border is selected under the tiles used for walls, not to destroy holistic look of the room. The following types of tile fillets:
- "Pencil". Ceramic Area type "pencil" is a narrow rectangular tile whose width is 4.3 cm and length 30 cm. This element is used for waterproofing a small gap between the tub and the wall, and decorative purposes, to divide the space visually zone.
Note! Typically, a single collection includes ceramic tile Area 1-2 species. If you choose tile in the set of which shall not be a special border, you can choose the right color rim in other collections. In the worst case corner you can make with your own hands, cutting the tiles into strips 3-4 cm wide.
Pick up a tile and a beautiful high-quality ceramic area is quite simple, thanks to the extensive range. Professional Matera is strongly not recommended for sealing joints between the bath and the wall of the plastic borders, if the room decoration is done with the help of a tile. The advantages of the ceramic parts are:
- Water resistant. Area flag does not absorb water as the glazed surface repels liquid.
- Strength. The great advantage tile borders strength of products considered and the resistance to mechanical damage.
Note that plug the joint between tiles and a bathtub with a plastic border that is much cheaper than the ceramic, it is not recommended, because of the low porosity tiles securely lock a rim problematic. In addition, the term of service of plastic products is much less than the operating period of the tiles.
Ceramic corner - an effective means of eliminating the gap between the tiles and the bathroom, which flows into the soul when using water sprays fall. However, the high cost of this element makes homeowners wonder it needed to trim the fillet of the premises. The disadvantages of tile borders consider:
- Expensiveness. Compared with plastic counterparts ceramic borders are much more expensive. The price of domestic products starts from 130 rubles per 1 share, and imported fillets can cost 500-600 rubles, or even more.
Note that when selecting a ceramic corner to seal the gap between the tiles and the wall, you need to consider the width of the element. It is important that the superior border gap width for a thickness of 2-3 cm.
Installation of ceramic frieze is performed after installation of the bath and wall tiles. For work using tile adhesive, silicone sealant antibacterial additives, trowel and grout. The work is performed in the following order:
- The sides of the bath and the adjacent tile surface is cleaned of dirt, degreased and dried. To prevent damage, wall decoration stick with masking tape.
Note that mezhshovnoe space - the most vulnerable to moisture and mold spot, so filling it is recommended to use a special water-resistant grout with antibacterial additives.