- 1 Coleus: particular care at home
- 2 Coleus - care at home
- 3 Coleus - care in the home for the bright decorative handsome!
Coleus: particular care at home
Coleus belongs to the genus of the family Labiatae, Lamiaceae or (Lamiaceae). It is an ornamental plant includes more than 150 kinds. It is characterized by its mottled coloring and easy to care for.
Stems and leaves of coleus resemble nettles, so he called in "Krapivka" people. Leaf color - green, red, yellow and burgundy. The flowers are unremarkable and the special interest of the growers do not cause. Grow a plant solely for the colorful leaves that can brighten any room, windowsill or balcony. Many gardeners are grown in the garden simple coleus, care at home usloviyahza it requires not much more effort.
Conditions for growing indoor coleus
To houseplant pleased you with its marvelous leaves, you should know how to care for coleus in the home. In principle, it is not difficult and does not require much time. But there are some subtleties and nuances that should be taken into account.
Coleus - heliophilous flower room. It normally carries even in direct sunlight. But very bright and dry days it is better to put a flower for 2-3 hours in the shade, to avoid burns on the leaves. It is best to put Coleus in the pots on the south or east side.
The temperature of the Coleus is not critical. The main thing that it was between 14. +30 ° C. But we should remember that extreme changes in temperature can lead to the fact that the plant will throw the leaves.
Proper care of coleus at home
Coleus grows very well in pots on a sunny windowsill. If you plant enough sun, watering and fertilizing, Coleus can reach the height of 80 cm.
Coleus watered with warm water and mild. On hot summer days, you need to make sure that the soil does not dry up, it needs to be constantly moist. In winter, watering can be reduced. The plant likes a warm shower and spraying. Flower likes moist air and very poorly tolerate dry. Therefore it is necessary to carry out spraying in 1-2 days.
Coleus in the home require fertilizing and fertilizers. In the summer you need to feed the plant once a week with liquid fertilizer with potassium. In winter you can spend fertilizing once a month. In winter, the concentration of feeding should be reduced so that plants are not stretched.
Features care of coleus in a period of rest
During the period of dormancy (autumn-winter) plant will require less attention. watering frequency should be reduced, as the daylight hours become less. It is best to put the pots with flowers in a tray of wet pebbles. Fertilizing is carried out once a month. Some growers generally stop feeding coleus in winter.
Because the root system of the flower is not strong, it does not require frequent transplanting. The plant is easy to tolerate transplantation, which should be done in the spring after pruning. Repot the plant in a larger pot, if the old is already too small. Transplant and soil update is carried out once a year. Coleus should be removed from the pot carefully, so as not to damage the root system.
When transplanting gently shake the earth from the roots and move into a larger pot with new soil. Grunt choose a universal medium pH, its composition should include: turf ground, peat and humus. After the transplant, pour and Feed the plant.
Pruning Coleus held in the spring and summer. The reason for pruning may be pulling branches and irregular shape of the plant. Held pruning to stop growing when it reaches the desired size. Pruning is also carried out after the pick for the best tillering or grafting. Pruning should be given neat, sterile instruments, so as not to damage the plant and does not infect his disease. After trimming Coleus should be well watered and fertilize.
Reproduction Coleus at home
Coleus reproduction carried out in two ways: seeds and cuttings. For better growth and rooting soil for Coleus should be nutritious and moist.
On prepared soil sown seeds that need to sprinkle sand on top. In 14-20 days the first shoots appear. It should prick to continue the growth of Coleus. A pick driven by transplanting seedlings in the cups with the new soil. When transplanting the seedling into the ground to deepen the need to first leaves. Then you need to spend an additional 2-3 picks. Do not forget to water the young plants every two days.
Coleus cuttings reproduction is carried out in February. Choose a stalk without flowers and buds with two pairs of leaves. Carefully cut off and put it into the water. After 1-2 months, with the first roots, stalks can be planted in a small pot with soil. Sapling planted in the soil of the lower leaves. Care for established plants, as well as for normal adults coleus.
Possible difficulties in growing coleus
Growing Coleus does not cause much difficulty, since it is not very capricious plant. Still, growers meet such problems:
- discard stems - with not enough nitrogen in the soil;
- dangling leaves - in case of lack of moisture or high temperature;
- leaves dropping - at low temperature or poor irrigation;
- turn yellow and shrivel leaves - Coleus's disease or the presence of pests (aphids, mites, whitefly);
- drawing plants - when there is insufficient light or untimely pruning.
For pest control, if bred, using Bordeaux mixture or medicines such as "Iskra", "Malathion". After spraying the plants are required to cover it with foil for 2-3 hours. It will quickly destroy the pests and prevent their escape to healthy plants.
Thus, if leaves of the plant properly shaped and brightly colored, it has a beautiful and healthy look - Care coleus correct.
I like to grow at a carnation. Buy seeds of this flower can be in a good store, here:.
Why Corn-crusher Niva is not listed? They're the best!
a lot of biological and geological mistakes: for example wrote that the clay is typically acidification, however.
Excellent article, a lot of great tips! I am now in Thailand and broke his head if it makes sense.
Hello! My name is Andrew. I want to learn how to grow melons for sale at a hectare norms. .
- © 2018 Agronomu.com
The use of any materials contained on this site is permitted for reference to agronomu.com
The editors of the portal can not share the opinion of the author and is not responsible for any copyrighted material for the accuracy and content of advertising
Coleus - care at home
Fill your home collection with new potted flowers, growers are increasingly looking for something different, something out of the ordinary, something that could brag to other gardeners ... Exquisite and unique Coleus is just part of the series of magical plants.
Spectacularly colored leaves, a large variety of species, delightful color combinations - it's all about coleus. This unusual flower decorates and city loggias and window sills and balconies. To date, there are more than one hundred and fifty species of this plant. Strictly speaking, many of them came to us from the nature of Asia and Africa. But cultivated in most cases hybrids Blume Coleus. This wonderful flower was imported from the distant island of Java, which is part of the beautiful Indonesia. The plant belongs to the family Lamiaceae, and the people sometimes called "Krapivko".
The unusual name of the plant is associated with the Greek word «kleos», which means sheath or scabbard. Flower room is relatively low. Depending on the variety can reach a height of thirty to sixty centimeters.
TO the most popular varieties Coleus, which are often grown on windowsills and balconies, include: Buttercup, Crimson Ruffles, Firebird, Glory of Luxembourg, Rose Blush, Salmon Lace, Kong and others.
And here is how to care for this wonderful potted flower - this you will learn in this article!
Caring for coleus in the home
The first thing to face grower, is the choice of plants in a flower shop. This event should be taken very seriously.
- Coleus is preferable to purchase in the spring.
- should not buy a plant that is in the flowering stage. The sharp change in conditions may adversely affect the further development of the plant.
- Do not buy plants with only one escape. Coleus should acquire multiple shoots. Compact style crown and a few shoots are a sure sign of a well-formed root system.
- Before purchasing a plant, detail Ask seller about the origin of the plants. If it came from abroad, after the acquisition should be immediately transplant. The fact is that the shipping land is not suitable for long-term cultivation of plants.
It is important! Following the acquisition of the plant can not be transplanted, if it is planted in a suitable pot and the soil. Otherwise, Coleus should be immediately transplant.
"Krapivka" loves the sun. It will feel great in well lit area, so the windows are perfect to host it with:
side of the house. Not too well, mix Coleus on the northern and young windowsill. In the first case it is simply lack of light. In the second case, direct sunlight can damage the leaves: they lose their color and can simply burn. However, if no other options, you can place a "Krapivko" and on the north and south side. If necessary, have dosvechivat grower or, on the contrary, pritenyat plants.
The optimum temperature for growing Coleus
"Krapivko" with absolute certainty can be attributed to heat-loving plants. As with most other plants, the temperature standards depend on the stage of development of the flower room and the season.
- In the winter, optimum temperature for coleus will range from +16 to + 18C. If the temperature drops below acceptable standards, the flower room would react to such an oscillation decay of the root system, dropping leaves. If the grower does not take urgent measures, coleus may die.
- In summer time room temperature flower content should be maintained at from +22 to + 25C. It would be nice if in the warm season coleus will be put to the balcony, loggia or in the garden.
On a note! Many growers wonder where their indoor flowers appear pests? It seems to be the way bought in a specialty store, and before planting the plant disinfected and properly and promptly took care of potted flower. But coleus, and many other plants, stubbornly plagued by pests. This may be due to dry hot air into the room. Under such conditions, pests live and breed well.
"Krapivko" can be confidently attributed to the moisture-loving plants. Therefore, plentiful and timely watering is one of the main conditions for successful plant growth.
The basic rules Irrigation Coleus:
- Watering Coleus should be regular. It is very important. If you are afraid to get confused or wrong, better monthly basis schedule watering the flower room.
- Regular spray for indoor plants is just as important as watering. So please be careful spray and spray the leaves "Krapivka".
- In contrast to many other houseplants, which winter watering is by and large not too important, Coleus "enjoys" wetting in both summer and winter.
- Of great importance when watering is Coleus water quality. Do not water the flower plain tap water. This is the right path, which sooner or later will lead to the death of the plant. The mandatory water should be defended. At least for 1-2 days. This will be sufficient to form lime sludge and chlorine evaporated. If you do not have time to defend the water, or simply forget to do it, no problem! It is possible to pour the boiled water plant, ostuzhennoy to a comfortable temperature. also can be poured Coleus artesian water or rain.
On a note! The best time for watering Coleus - This morning antemeridian hours.
Nutrient soil for Coleus, and indeed for many other indoor plants, you can easily buy in the store twig. The main thing - strictly followed so that the ground is really suited to this type of plant. Do not forget about the expiration date. If the soil mix (as well as in fertilizers) came out the expiration date, to use such a tool is not necessary.
There are various options for independent preparation of the soil for Coleus.
method №1. Mix one part sand and turf and add to the mixture of two parts humus.
method №2. Take one part sand, turf, turf and leaf soil and mix necessary components.
Important! The main thing - do not forget about good drainage layer for plants!
Remember that if you are not sure of the quality of prepared land, it is best to disinfect with a weak solution of potassium permanganate.
Top dressing Coleus is made in accordance with the seasonal development of plants:
- In spring and summer, when the plant is in active growth stage, fertilizing should be done at least once a week. Preference is given to potassium fertilizers.
- Autumn and winter Coleus should fertilize once a month.
Problems in growing coleus
Growing "Krapivka", like many other plants, it is often compounded by the emergence of a number of problems. Home - an attack of pests. Many problems with insects can be avoided if you carefully follow the plants, time to detect the threat and to take immediate action to resolve it.
- Coleus often affected by one of the worst pests - aphids. She settles on top of a flower. Aphids on flower manifested in the form of small green and black dots. If you notice that the aphids attack your flower room, begin to act without delay. The first thing you should do: thoroughly rinse the plant in the shower. Then the indoor flower should be given dry. Next we treat the affected area gently with a sponge moistened with a soap solution with the addition of tobacco. After the procedure should wait for about 1 week. If the situation has not changed, you will need to take more drastic measures - handle Coleus insecticides.
- The second is the "arch-enemy" Coleus - it spider mite. It is easily recognized by the appearance on the back side of the sheet plants thin webs. In this case, the leaves are beginning to turn yellow and crumble, a marked slowdown in the growth of the flower. In this case, carefully remove all the affected pest shoots and regularly clean the plant with lukewarm water until complete removal of pests.
- Often, attacks and Coleus mealybug. However, it is easy enough to find. In the leaf axils of the indoor flower begins to appear sticky white fluff. Get rid of mildew help treatment insecticide leaf axils.
Coleus - a delightful flower room. Refined and unique, each variety of this plant gives growers bizarre color combinations. With proper care will enjoy its beauty for many years.
Coleus - care in the home for the bright decorative handsome!
Coleus - it is an ornamental plant, with amazingly beautiful leaves. Their color can be red or violet, emerald green or beige and having a large amount of inclusions. High decorative combined with ruggedness make coleus favorite of gardeners.
Inhabitant of the tropics of Asia and Africa perfectly acclimatised in Europe and joins their ranks with new hybrid species and cultivars. And if in his native flower grows as a perennial, the band with a temperate climate is exceptionally indoor or greenhouse plant. However, it can be grown on the plot, as the Letnik. Coleus is growing rapidly and is well tolerated haircut, which allows the formation of the plant, not causing him harm.
Coleus varieties, there are more than 150, are not only color and size of leaves, but their border. The edges of the sheet metal plate may be toothed, curly, or fringed deeply dissected.
View Coleus Blum and Vershaffelta
They first came to Europe in the 19th century and became the founders of the new hybrid varieties.
View Coleus Blum, who is often referred to as "room Krapivko" has elongated oval leaves, pointed to an end. The leaves are painted in different colors, from pink to dark burgundy, with a wavy green border.
Grade Coleus Blum Butterfly has wavy leaves, The Chief - folded, Volkano - dark red, and Colden Bedder - yellow.
Type Coleus Vershaffelta has larger leaves and velvety bright color.
Used in indoor and garden horticulture. It is grown in hanging baskets and planters. It looks spectacular plants in the balcony boxes and pots.
A large number of new varieties and hybrids combined into a single view - Hybrid. Plant height varies between marking 30 and 80 cm. A leaf color palette excites imagination. Bright colors, a variety of patterns on the leaves, their velvety surface attracts lovers of ornamental plants.
All hybrid varieties are divided into the series - which is easier to navigate the world of coleus.
The Wizard series Coleus can be found as a self-colored leaves and variegated: with a contrasting bordered, dashes and stripes.
Variety Wizard Velvet Red has bright red leaves with pink veins. In the variety Golden Wizard leafy plate yellow-green color, at Wizard Scarlett they are red, and the border creamy yellow color.
Characterized by large decorative leaves. There are varieties with twisted or coarsely toothed edges. In the variety Giant Fantasy they glubokorassechonnye, crimson, cream framed border.
Another very beautiful coleus Black Dragon
Grade Black Dragon
Reproduction Coleus at home
Having decided to decorate your window sill of decorative foliage plants, coleus, you must know how to multiply. It's quite easy to do if the grower already has a plant. And shoots which remain after trimming, it can be used as cuttings for planting. Cutting height should be about 10 cm with its lower portion is removed and leaves deepen into moist earth.
To create a greenhouse covered with a plastic cap or a transparent plastic cups. Rooting will be successful, if you keep the pot with a plant in the shade and the temperature will be equal to 20 ° C.
After two weeks, you can transplant the rooted coleus to a permanent place. Cultivation Coleus is simple and a high degree of rooting each planted cuttings.
Often shoots Coleus simply placed in a glass of water to which a few drops of the drug, which stimulates root formation, and put on the windowsill. The appearance of roots in this case can be observed visually, and when there will be enough stalks planted in fertile soil.
Growing from seed also gives excellent results, it is likely that each grain will sprout. Thus, the need for seeding shallow crates, fertile and light soil, and, of course, Coleus seeds. On the shelves of specialty stores today you can find excellent varietal mix of Dutch and English production.
Seeds on a ground surface, priporashivayut sand (but not sealed), is moistened with an atomizer, covered with transparent material and is sent to the germination in warm and bright sill.
The optimum temperature for germination is 20-25S.
Crops need daily ventilate and remove water droplets from the surface harboring material. The appearance of the first sprouts begins somewhere in 10-14 days. It is important not to miss this time and clean glass or polyethylene time.
For further cultivation of the boxes with seedlings is better positioned on the east or west window sill. Here tender shoots will not get direct sunlight.
After a month, maybe a little less on the sprouts will be the order of 2-4 true leaves - that means it's time to prick. First the pick is carried out in a separate small cassette, where they will build up the root system. At the age of 6 weeks, they are transplanted into cups 300-400 ml volume, this is the case, if the flower is scheduled to land in open ground.
For home cultivation second transplant are doing already in flower pot. Together with transfer carried crown topping Coleus, this will lead to a stronger tillering.
An interesting detail: cotyledon leaves from green coleus, and subsequent color gradually acquire their respective grade.
In open ground plants are planted after the final heat attack. The location must be protected from the sun and wind, and fertile soil and good drainage properties.
Planting produced by handling the wells located far from each other. After planting Coleus necessary to pour.
Caring for coleus in the open field
Beautiful and unusual motley plant does not cause undue hassle gardener care.
Abundant watering needs coleus in the spring and summer. Flower belongs to the plants that love water, so the soil must have good water permeability.
Heavy soil will lead to stagnation of water and, as a result, root rot. From an excess of moisture the plant loses its decorative effect - bright variegated leaves crumble.
Fertilize the plant every week throughout the summer. As part of the complex nitrogen fertilizing should prevail, because it was he who helps to build green (in the case of Coleus - colored) plant mass.
Top-dressing Coleus: Video
But let to chance can not shoot development. First make pinched when the seedling reaches a height of 10-12 cm. Then shorten the side shoots, forming a bush according to your taste and desire.
Cut branches can be used for plant propagation by cuttings flower. In this case, the young seedlings can be transplanted in the fall and dig in the flower pot. At home, it will please their owners elegant foliage.
It happens that Coleus time to bloom, throwing flower arrow. But flowers are not a decorative value and are best to remove them, so that the plant does not expend energy on ripening seeds. Even if the gardener wants to get their seeds in the next season, he will not have the same flower.
Hybrid seeds do not transmit the decorative qualities of the parent plant.
Caring for coleus in the home
Coleus home in the spring and summer need the same care activities as a garden. Regular and abundant watering, dressing with a predominance of nitrogen, the formation of the plants.
Water, which will water the flowers should stand and acquire ambient temperature for a few days of the medium. The same water can moisten the surface of the leaves, using a spray bottle. And as Coleus is very fond of fresh air, it bring to the balcony or terrace, where it will delight not only the owners, but also passers-by.
In winter, reduce the amount of irrigation and fertilizers are applied once a month.
Coleus: cultivation, propagation, grafting: video
Rules of maintenance and care of the plant directly affect its condition and decorative. Coleus can look oppressed for the following reasons.
- Too heavy soil. Poor drainage properties of the soil leads to stagnation of water in the area of the root system. This in turn causes them to rot. The plant weakens and loses its leaves.
- excessive watering. Although Coleus is very fond of the water, but it should not be pereuvlazhnyat. Land should be slightly moist but not waterlogged.
- Lack of moisture. Uneven watering and drying earthen coma fraught flower first leaf loss and possible death.
- The lack of light. Coleus photophilous plant and if it is not enough sunlight, it will affect its decoration. Shoots elongated, and the leaves will lose their brightness.
- Direct sunlight. On hot summer days the hot sun can cause leaf burn. At first, they appear yellow spots, then they wither and fall off.
In this state, the plants are most susceptible to the attack of pests. And Garden Coleus are affected more often than the room. The most dangerous for the aphids colors, whitefly and mites.
If aphid was seen on house plants, then it is treated with a soap solution. A week later processing is repeated to secure the result.
On a note! Before treatment is necessary to cover the surface of the earth in a flower pot waterproof material.
For a garden plot, where it grows is usually a lot of coleus, this option is very time consuming. And it justifies the use of insecticides against insects. Perhaps the use of drugs, "Akhtar", "Fitoverm" and "aktellik". These funds are suitable for the destruction of the whitefly.
Against mites, you can use "Akarin", "Apollo" and "Oberon".
A simple, but proper care of coleus will reward their owners with bright colors and lush foliage in all seasons. In addition, this flower is not as simple as it seems.
Bright and quite unpretentious Coleus has to his credit many beliefs and superstitions associated with its cultivation. Some of them speak about the benefits that it brings into the house. Other categorically prohibit holding a flower on her windowsill.
- Coleus in the house - a fire hazard. This superstition is associated with the bright color of the plants. Comfortably ensconced on a light windowsill, it really is like a small campfire. But no more. If the hostess overly superstitious, it is better to abandon this houseplant.
- Coleus - muzhegon. This superstition has no unfounded. And if the family left a man this can be attributed to all plants in your home. Load "deaf telephone". This flower is called "muhogonom" as insects avoid sit on it.
- Coleus zatsvol winter - to ruin. In ancient times, coleus grown mainly poor people. The houses were cold, and needs warmth to flower coleus. And if Coleus flower arrow threw the winter time, it meant a warm winter with little snow. Therefore, the winter could have died, and the family really could remain without a livelihood.
Now the apartments are always warm and dry, hence, blossom coleus may at any time of the year.
Much more interesting positive qualities coleus. He is able to transform negative energy into positive, clearing space around them.
- If coleus in the house began to look not the best way, then someone from the household threatening disease.
And this is the explanation. With high energy capacity plant is unable to cope with the negative hanging in the atmosphere. This means that all members of the family should pay attention to their mental and physical health.
Of course, this sign occurs when the flower is done for the right care.
- Coleus brings good luck. Flowerpot with postrolistym coleus in the office or on the desktop - is the key to high performance and creative thought.
And this can be explained. Essential oils that produce Coleus leaves, improve blood circulation and stimulate the brain. Flower Power neutralizes the impact of extraneous factors and cleans the space from a negative.
Scientifically proven fact: Coleus leaves secrete substances that really do not like moths. Therefore, if the eater woolen clothes threatens the wardrobe, you should definitely get amazing in its beauty flower - Coleus.
Grow Coleus home on the window sill and in the garden on a bed - he always will appreciate the bright foliage color of the eyes.
Alas, no comments yet. Be the first!