Flower Moon - a wonderful charm of the night
Lunotsvet - beautiful perennial plant, featuring a large heart-shaped leaves and silken flowers, has a diameter of about 14 centimeters.
A native of the American tropics - Flower Moon color - in the garden horticulture grown since 1733 as an annual. A feature of this garden is blooming vines white flowers at nightfall - a show unusual and fascinating, accompanied by the rustle rustling. Then there was a soft cotton - and a beautiful flower moon at one time been disclosed. Night space immediately filled with incredible flavors: sweet, almond, with a note of freshness and romance. At sunrise the flowers fade, open throughout the day can only remain in cloudy weather.
Morning Glory lunnotsvetuschaya (another name lunotsveta) - summer culture, blooms in late July - August. The plant feels comfortable on the sunny areas with any nutrient soils, prefers moist loams. It needs to be watered regularly, preventing water stagnation.
Growing flower seedling method is performed because when sowing seeds of Morning Glory does not have time to bloom before the cold weather. Seeds lunotsveta brown, large (as large bean), have a very strong shell. Planting the seedlings produced in late March - early April. Pre recommended to scarification - partial violation shell covers in order to accelerate the germination and increase germination index. In this case, the young sprouts appear within a week.
Propagated flower moon can layering. To do this, shoots that grow during the summer near the root collar is dropped (not separated from the parent plant). After 1.5 months is their rooting. Before the onset of cold weather prikopalis shoots should be transplanted into pots, put in the greenhouse for the winter and cover the leaves. Spring overwintered seedlings can be planted in open ground.
At first, the young moon flower grows slowly, but then actively gaining momentum in a matter of days, reaching 3 meters in height. Therefore, the plant is required to establish timely support, and direct tie curly stems.
Flowering begins in June and extends to the frost. In temperate climates the seeds ripen lunotsveta do not have time, so fruits should be cut short, and finally dried first in the sun and then indoors. Storing recommended planting material in paper bags.
To ensure an abundant flowering moon flower is in need of fertilizing preparations with low mineral nitrogen content. The excess material will cause the active growth of the green mass, which occurs at the expense of flowering. Lunotsvet also may be affected spider mites.
night plant - moonflower (photos are presented in the article) is used in plantings around the pavilions, on the lattice windows, in front of the house, in the arch compositions.
Or honesty Lunaria: photos of flowers, varieties, cultivation, use of the flower from a fairy tale
Legend: One day the moon down to the ground, captured by the beauty of wildflowers. All night she gathered a bunch to take him with me, but the sun suddenly appeared spooked her away, and she hurried back to his seat on the road accidentally spilling collected flowers. And there, where the assembled bouquet fell to the surface of the ground hatched a small sprout beautiful plant, which would later be named Lunaria (Latin) or honesty.
Lunaria in the photo:
Called the same in all European languages, Lunaria rediviva submits the dim beauty. Sometimes it is called Penny, or the silver ruble and the name is well deserved. After wonderful results will not leave anyone indifferent.
Undemanding of care, beautiful during the flowering and fertile time, this flower has long established itself as a place in the hearts of gardeners. And the hunt for him led to the fact that it is listed in the Red Book. What is so unique Lunaria "Silver ruble"?
About the plant has been known for a very long time, growing almost the entire territory of modern Europe, it has long been used in folk medicine. However, precisely its healing properties can not be determined, since no studies on this subject are not officially conducted.
Not very high, up to a meter tall stalk surrounded by foliage. Leaves differ in shape from each other. Closer to the ground they look like inverted hearts above are similar to direct hearts. Between the lower and upper leaves and are located above the lovely little four-leaf flowers that later become fruit.
The flowers are fragrant honesty, they grow buds, color them purple. The flowers appear mainly in the second year after planting, which is why one of the varieties referred to two years. But if planted seedlings at home, flowering can be obtained in the first year of life.
Yellow flower of honesty in the photo:
plant fruits are flattened ellipse closer to the shape of a circle, especially in annual species. The size of an average of about 3-4 centimeters. Fruit color silver-transparent, and that was the original name for this.
Fruit of Lunar:
There are two species of honesty, followed by planting and care are different:
- annual Lunnik. In our climate it is rather a two-year flower. Since when spring planting in the ground - the first flowering occurs only in the second year after planting. Followed by the fruition of the life cycle is completed. In memory remain beautiful round fruit with a silver sheen. They are able to stand the whole winter in the dried form, pleasing the eye home compositions of deadwood.
- Long-term, or Lunaria rediviva, require special conditions for the location of the area, this species will please you all the time. Suffice it once to properly prepare the ground and drop him to later only occasionally giving him time to get a great garden decoration.
This plant is a cruciferous and its reproduction on the site produce seeds or vegetatively. In summer you can see how gathered for Lunnik moths circling in her beautiful dancing, performing the pollination of flowers.
After receiving the fruits, the seeds are taken very large, brown them seated in the soil in the spring, at a distance of 30-40 cm from each other. In more dense arrangement of flowers will be smaller, the number of fruit is also reduced, and the general appearance is spoiled.
Growing from seed is produced at home is quite simple and requires no special skills. And the seeds landed at the end of the winter, you can get a home strong shoots that will bloom in the first year of life of the plant. Unfortunately, the same year will be the last, if we are talking about a one-year option for him.
If you want to propagate the plant, without waiting for its fructification - just cut a few shoots, place them in water to root formation, and then feel free to plant them in the ground.
A perennial plant is propagated, as a rule, self-seeding. The main thing to take root and to sow it in the right place, at the pre-fertilized soil, and all that is left to care - it's weeding, and fertilizing periodically.
Photos general plant species
The plant is unpretentious and does not require a lot of effort in terms of content. But some of the features it has. The approach differs depending on the type:
- Annual plant sown in the mid-shadowed or of open areas interspersed other flowers and herbs, the living space of honesty about decimeter. It is necessary to take this into account when planting. Additional watering is usually not required;
- The long-term option should be planted in shaded areas and ensure that the soil was moist, but not too much, otherwise it may happen rotting of the root system and destruction of the plants. In vivo this kind selects gullies and depressions, growing along river banks in the shade. Similar conditions need to create on the site, it must be planted in the pre-fertilized soil.
Honesty is now widely used in landscape design, its unpretentiousness and natural beauty of this flower deserves a place in the overall scheme of other landscaping plants. Here are the possible location of honesty on the site:
- It is best to look at a plant location in the group, but do not forget that the distance between the individual shoots during the landing should not be less than 30 cm, otherwise the plant will pale flowers will be small, and in general, the general form of such a landing is depressing;
- It will look good on the so-called Moorish lawn, surrounded by grass, a lawn is not mowed, and it forms a bed of herbs and plants, delighting the eye of their respective owners.
- If you plan a garden of gravel, in which the soil is covered said material - a plant suitable perfectly planted Lunaria groups nearest neighbors can become wormwood, barley, thyme, asters, angelica, tansy, feather grass and other plants. This garden is almost rid of weeds, and these plants feel great;
- You can actively use it in the design of small flower beds or flower beds. Such compositions are suitable for those who come to the site is not often, as special care it does not require. Undemanding surrounded by other plants such as bells, daisies and forget-me Silver Ruble be a perfect complement of the total composition. It is also possible to use Potentilla and hydrangeas, lupine, barberry and other plants. It is best to protect these compositions from the wind, using special garden supports, or reinforced plastic material;
- Perennial decorate a low-lying place and the shaded portion. It also best planted in separate groups, subsequently carrying out periodic weeding and manure.
Using honesty after fruiting
In autumn, after flowering, beautiful fruits honesty will decorate any area. If you want to save them for the winter - it is necessary to cut coins with shoots and zasushivat of about two weeks in a warm and dry place, possibly in the attic is the best place for this.
Such preform useful in the cold season, for creating compositions of lunik and other dried flowers. Such compositions are very beautiful in the interior and will delight you with their original form until the spring.
We can say that Lunnik is very undemanding, and at the same time a wonderful plant. Its fruits are like the full moon, or silver coin, original and attract a lot of attention.
And the simplicity of care has made the plant one of the favorites of many landscape designers. And today, despite the fact that Lunnik listed in the Red Book and the nature of his left much he feels great on many, many sites, the owners of which one could not resist the beauty of this mysterious moon plants.
A series of programs about the hardy plants for a garden on the channel "World Garden" includes a story about honesty.
Lunotsvet - moon creeper
There is no better plants for the night garden. Lunotsvet (Calonyction) or as it is called impomeya lunnotsvetuschaya - liana of the family Berezkovyh with bright white flowers that bloom at sunset, filling the garden a pleasant aroma. Cloudy days and cold temperatures can extend the flowering and in the morning hours, but usually closed flowers at sunrise.
Usually flowering begins in mid-summer and lasts for a wonderful night show until frost. Night beauty is better to plant next to the porch or along the tracks where the fragrance and the flowers can be appreciated.
In Lunotsveta big, beautiful, heart-shaped leaves, highly branched stem, up to eight meters and above. Flowers large, about 15 cm in length and 7 to 10 cm at its widest part.
Liana is easy to grow, it does not require a lot of care and attention. Lunotsvet prefers warm, sunny location and fertile, well-drained moist loam, but can also grow in poor soil, which makes it convenient to grow in places where many other popular plants are poorly developed. Provide regular watering the plant, as a vine does not tolerate drought.
Regular fertilization in half strength with a large amount of phosphorus stimulates abundant flowering, and excess nitrogen fertilizer gives abundant growth of green mass and reduces the number of colors.
These wonderful curling perennial vine native to the tropics of Southeast Asia and South America, so in our climate in the open air, they are usually grown as annuals or will wear for the winter in the house, planted in a pot.
Before planting it is necessary nadpilit hard shell seeds or gently reveal a sharp knife, then soak overnight in warm water. Planting seeds in containers with peat. Germination usually takes four to seven days. The grown and became strong seedlings are planted in open ground after the last frost, when the air temperature is established above 18 C. ̊ Liana not like to be transplanted, however plant seedlings immediately for permanent.
The plant also reproduces by means of strains that do in the summer. In winter they are entered into a warm room. Spring from overwintered lunotsveta can be taken for rooting cuttings.