- 1 Planting garlic in autumn
- 2 How to prepare a bed for the garlic and autumn planting. All the benefits of garlic planting before winter: time and technology
- 2.1 The advantages of planting winter garlic
- 2.2 Dates of planting winter garlic in the fall
- 2.3 What you need to consider when planting winter garlic
- 2.4 Preparation of planting material
- 2.5 Prepare the beds for the autumn planting of garlic + photos
- 2.6 What fertilizers to use in preparing the beds for the autumn planting of garlic
- 2.7 Top 10 Secrets to a good harvest of winter garlic
- 2.8 What you need to consider when growing winter garlic
- 3 Planting garlic in autumn: planting right
Planting garlic in autumn
Those who argue that the gardening season begins in February and March, is seriously mistaken. To ensure a high yield, it is necessary to take care of him since the autumn. In the fall of preparing the beds for the next year, making fertilizer, regulate soil acidity, and also engaged in podzimny sowing and planting of winter crops.
In this article we will talk about how to plant garlic in the fall winter.
Preparing garlic for planting in the fall
The first step is to sort out plant material. All damaged, dried up, moldy or rotten teeth removed.
Selects the teeth with a reserve - in the future you will still reject unsuitable. Once the largest and healthy teeth selected, put them in a bowl or pan with a lid and put on a week and a half on the porch or balcony. During this time, however small teeth roots. After this time, planting material sorted again by omitting the teeth with a previously undetected defects.
It is also desirable to disinfect teeth, wetting them before planting for 30-50 minutes in a solution of any systemic fungicide or potassium permanganate (light pink solution). Teeth remaining float on the surface of the solution is likely corrupted or overdried, and hence are not suitable for planting.
After disinfection, teeth a little dried, but to wait for the complete drying is not necessary.
Bed for garlic should be selected and prepared since the summer. Ideally, you need to release it in June and July. Then make the manure or compost and dig the bed of garlic future. Manure or any other organic fertilizers directly during planting garlic increases the risk of disease and pest infestation.
Remember that garlic does not like acidic soil and heavy. The bed should not be flooded in the spring, or garlic simply "vymoknet" and rot.
A week before planting garlic in the soil, it is desirable to make a potassium-phosphorus fertilizer, a couple of days - a little wood ash (to prevent acidification of soil from fertilizers).
How to plant garlic in the fall
Planting garlic in autumn before winter is done when the soil temperature drops to + 10-12 ° C at a depth of 5 cm. However, these terms are quite arbitrary, since the later planting is often not as successful. But hurry up and to plant garlic before it is not necessary - the emergence of green garlic shoots a sure sign that the bed will not stand winter frosts and die without additional shelters. So it is better not to hurry and to wait with planting at least until a stable cold. However, to delay the boarding and not worth it - to strong frosts garlic cloves should have time to take root, otherwise good crop should not expect in the next year.
The distance between plants in the row should be on 10-13sm level aisle should be done at least 15-20 cm in width. If you compile all the requirements, optimal timing of planting garlic in the middle lane is the middle of October. In the northern regions for one or two weeks earlier, and in the south - a couple of weeks later.
The correct choice of the landing site is not as important as the seedbed preparation and suitable planting dates.
To avoid the development of diseases and pests of reproduction, it is not necessary for several years to grow garlic in the same place. The best precursors for him are the beets and carrots, cabbage, parsnips, celery, squash and beans. It is undesirable to plant garlic after the potatoes, onions, tomatoes or peppers.
Bulbochek planting garlic in the fall is not fundamentally different from planting cloves. The only difference - because of the small size of the bulb is not necessary to dig very deep. But do not forget that from bulbochek not grow full heads and garlic-odnozubka (Onion) - redeveloped inoculum, which is a small bulbs. However, plant the bulb in the autumn it is not necessary - they are perfectly grow when spring planting. The main advantage of planting podzimnego bulbochek - saving time in the spring.
Now you can not only independently determine when to plant garlic in the fall, but also to find a place for it properly and prepare a bed so as to provide a good winter and a high yield.
As you can see, the secrets of planting garlic in the fall is not so complicated. Suffice it to observe basic rules to the next year to get a good crop of winter garlic flavored.
Copying information is permitted only with the direct and indexed reference to the source
How to prepare a bed for the garlic and autumn planting. All the benefits of garlic planting before winter: time and technology
Garlic has many beneficial properties, it grows every cottager.
However, to obtain a good harvest can not please everyone.
In order to have the best summer of teeth, you need to properly plant garlic in the fall.
And you need to start with the selection of planting material, preparing the beds and much more.
To begin, the gardener must decide what kind of garlic they want to grow. The fact that this culture is divided into several types:
These types differ from each other in appearance and form of the number of cloves.
1. Teeth winter garlic large, uniform in size. They are evenly distributed around the base in one line.
2. Varieties of winter garlic give the flower arrow, which forms the bulb.
Early winter garlic dig, used for summer use or for the blanks. For longer storage spring grown varieties of garlic. In this article, we will focus on the cultivation of winter garlic.
The advantages of planting winter garlic
Some gardeners prefer to grow spring garlic as its shelf life above. However, there are a number of advantages in planting winter garlic.
1. Time-saving spring works. planting dates are extended, which allows not hurry up and prepare well for the procedure. In the spring of too much work in the garden beds and high-quality training materials do not have time, and in the autumn it is much more.
2. winter garlic is not afraid of cold, whereas recurrent frosts can destroy the delicate shoots of spring garlic.
3. Planting material large enough, and the fine fraction summer garlic often shrinks at time of planting.
4. The winter garlic undemanding of care, because the soil moisture is sufficient for its development.
5. The winter varieties of garlic are more resistant to pests is less affected by various diseases.
6. Yields of winter garlic is much higher than the spring.
7. Harvesting takes place a month earlier, which allows the use of garlic for summer consumption.
An important factor on the way to harvest is a variety that is cultivated in the area. Experienced gardeners prefer purple - striped varieties of garlic. The people are so called for the color scales. Indeed, these varieties are more resistant to disease and frost. Commercial quality at the highest level heads. Bulbils are formed weighing about 150 grams each.
Dates of planting winter garlic in the fall
Experienced gardeners know that just to get a good harvest can be only when the planting done in exact terms. Many people confuse the types of garlic and drop them in the wrong timing, causing reduced crop quality and quantity.
For early planting winter garlic harvest in the autumn. If it is planted in the spring, the teeth are not easily established and will grow lush, green tops. Formation of marketable heads takes place in certain conditions.
What you need to consider when planting winter garlic
autumn-winter planting garlic dates for each region are different, but the observance of certain rules will help determine exactly a good time.
1. be planted material better prepared one month before the anticipated frost. Cloves on rooting takes about 3 weeks.
2. In the middle zone of autumn garlic planting time comes at the end of September - beginning of October. For a month teeth will form a strong root system, which is the key to an abundant harvest.
Cold and frost are not afraid of garlic, if the root system has developed enough, but delayed the landing leads to the fact that the roots of bad form. This leads to the fact that the teeth will die in the winter.
Important! Too rush to planting is not necessary, do not put the germination of winter garlic in the fall.
Preparation of planting material
From the quality of cloves depends on next year's crop. All plant material passes strict processing and preparation.
• For planting choose well dried head, which neatly divided into teeth, trying not to damage the scales.
• Selected material is sorted. Teeth should be healthy, with no visible signs of illness, stains, cracks or injuries. Zagniyut spoiled teeth and can infect the whole flower bed.
• It is best to plant those varieties that are cultivated in the region. This will provide a more stable yield.
• All the teeth are pre-plant. Garlic soaked for a few minutes in the salt solution. For this purpose, 5 liters of water add 3 tbsp. spoons of salt.
• then carried out disinfection planting material. Teeth immersed in a copper sulfate solution. In 10 liters of water was added 1 tbsp. spoon sulfate. Teeth can withstand one - two minutes.
Tip! If you want to grow a crop of large garlic, then for the autumn planting are selected only large teeth.
Seasoned gardeners for planting disinfection material is potassium permanganate solution preparation "fitosporin-M9raquo ;, infusion ash. Prepared and moved teeth stand about 30 minutes.
Prepare the beds for the autumn planting of garlic + photos
Another factor affecting the yield, is the soil in which garlic is grown. From its structure and composition is directly dependent on the quality of the head. Therefore, soil preparation should be given special attention. What does it mean?
1. The bed for autumn planting garlic is prepared in advance. As a rule, one month before the intended landing.
2. Too heavy soil is not suitable for the cultivation of garlic, so it must be loosened.
3. The ideal soil under garlic are loam.
4. A good harvest is obtained only in the earth is rich in nutrients. Improve the composition of the soil will help fertilizer.
What fertilizers to use in preparing the beds for the autumn planting of garlic
The amount and type of fertilizer depends on the soil, which is planned cultivation. In loam soil digging making mineral complexes. Per 1 square. meter:
• 1 cup of dolomite;
• 1 tbsp. spoon of superphosphate;
• 1 tbsp. nitrophosphate spoon
It is possible to enrich the soil with organic fertilizers. Suitable humus or compost, one bucket for 1 square. m. beds.
Other types of soils fertilized differently.
1. The clay soil enriched with peat. 1 bucket per 1 sq. meter beds.
2. Peatlands bred loam soil.
3. Sandy soils require fertilizer for loam, but with the addition of peat.
All fertilizers are applied digging beds. Need loose soil to a depth of 20 cm. Afterwards formed and sealed landing location.
Finished seedbed poured disinfectant solution. For this purpose, copper sulphate. In 10 liters of water diluted with 50 g. the drug. Seedbed watered and covered with film to the moment of landing.
Light and loose earth, which is rich in nutrients, allows to grow big and healthy garlic.
Bed of garlic is better positioned in the well-lighted place. This culture does not like stagnant water, excess moisture promotes the development of fungal diseases. If another location is not present, it is possible to correct the situation, equipped with high beds.
Most often, the garlic is grown in the garden rows. The distance between them makes about 25-30 cm, making it easier to care for culture. Teeth are planted in rows at a distance of about 10 cm from each other. However, this depends on the size of the planting material. Larger teeth are in need of more space, while small can be planted more densely.
The depth of embedment cloves of garlic depends upon landing. In autumn for planting furrow podzimnego make deeper, about 10 cm. The lack of planting depth will lead to the fact that garlic vymerznet. In harsh climates mulching gardeners practice beds straw or dry grass. However, in early spring, remove the cover.
Furrow for planting make parallel to each other, and the teeth are planted vertically, Donets down. In the formation of the beds there is nothing difficult, adhering to all the rules, you can expect a good harvest next summer.
Top 10 Secrets to a good harvest of winter garlic
1. After the treatment, planting material must immediately plant. If this is not possible, then it is better not to keep more than a week. Further, germination percentage declines cloves.
2. Experienced gardeners know how to affect the crop yield in the neighborhood of a bed. The best precursors of garlic are the greens, root vegetables, cucumbers, tomatoes, eggplants, cabbages and courgettes. Garlic can be grown on a bed of strawberries, cucumbers and tomatoes.
3. It is impossible to plant garlic after the onions. Return the culture in its place can be in three years.
4. Strict adherence to deadlines podzimny planting garlic in the fall.
5. For planting selected high-yielding varieties tested. Do not expect a good harvest of low-yielding varieties.
6. Timely update of planting material. Garlic, like any other culture, gradually degenerates. Every three years, should be carried out rejuvenation of sorts. To do this, leave a few arrows, of which receive the bulb. In the first year of them grow odnozubki. Landed odnozubki autumn in the garden, in the summer are trademarks of the head.
7. Compliance with the terms of harvesting. In each region, they differ. To determine the exact date, you can use the arrow keys. As soon as she snapped, and seemed the bulb, garlic is ripe.
8. arrows breaking out allows to grow larger heads of garlic, accelerates the ripening process.
9. Compliance with precise watering regime. In the first phase of growth of winter garlic watered abundantly, and by the end of the growing season watering stop.
10. Mulching the beds with garlic is beneficial to the formation of heads. Mulch helps to retain moisture, which is necessary for the formation of large cloves.
Tip! If you spend razokuchivanie beds in the second half of June, it promotes the formation of a flat and a large head.
What you need to consider when growing winter garlic
Despite all the tricks to grow large garlic without the necessary dressings fail. During the period of vegetative winter garlic it is necessary to feed a few times.
The first feeding about it in the beginning of the growing season, when the first leaves appear. nitrogen fertilizer used in this period. Experienced gardeners watered flower bed infusion of mullein or chicken manure. In 10 liters of water 1 kg insist substance. After completion of the fermentation solution was diluted with water in a ratio of 1:10 to 1 part of the infusion taking 10 parts water.
A second feeding is carried out at the time of formation of the head. The solution used is the same.
Harvesting must take place within a specified time, which affects the quality. Winter dug garlic when the leaves begin to turn yellow. Pitchfork loosened seedbed carefully taking garlic. Harvest shake off the ground and dry.
Dry garlic need in the shade under a canopy. Stems and roots can not break off. They have their own dry out. During the drying process all the nutrients from the stem down into the head. During drying the crop it periodically inspect and Ted. Particular attention is given to the lower layers, as they may rot.
When the garlic is well dried out, the stems are cut to a height of 10 cm, remove the remnants of dry roots and lay the head of the deposit. In this form the crop is stored until planting.
In conclusion we can say that garlic - it's unpretentious culture. Its cultivation does not cause trouble, but take into account all of the above rules necessary for a good crop of winter garlic.
© 2012-2018 "Women's opinion." When copying materials - a reference to the source is obligatory!
Editor in chief of the portal Ekaterina Danilova
E-mail: [email protected]
Contact us at: +7 (965) 405 64 18
Planting garlic in autumn: planting right
Before planting garlic under his land growing need to prepare properly. Culture for successful growth and good yields need fertile, well-drained soil. Garlic grows well in loamy, neutral soil acidity, to be fertilized with the digging.
Digging the beds for winter garlic is carried out approximately one month before planting, in late August, so fertilizer had completely dissolved and absorbed into the soil.
Please be aware that different types of fertilizer are applied for each composition of the soil:
- The organics are making loamy soil and mineral mixtures. On 1 m² 1 need a bucket of humus (compost can be), and 1 cup of lime, 1 tbsp. spoonful of superphosphate plus as much nitrophosphate.
- If the teeth are planting in heavy clay soil, then in addition to all of the above fertilizers add another 1 bucket of peat per 1 m² to improve the structure.
- When planting garlic in fertile soil (humus), the consumption of fertilizer is reduced - is sufficient to make compost bin 1 for each 1 m² plus 30 g of superphosphate and 20 g of potassium any mixtures thereof, but in addition must add sand or peat, to improve the drainage properties.
All fertilizer to be distributed over the soil surface, then dig the land to a depth of 25-30 cm. Then align a bed, a little condensed, and then treat it with a disinfectant solution of vitriol. Preparing agent in a proportion of 40 g powder per 10 liters of water. The plot treated at the rate of 1 liter of solution / 1 m². After all the events we cover the bed of the film. Put teeth into such a prepared soil can be in about a month.
For planting of winter varieties of garlic you need to choose the open unshaded areas where the sun shines intensely at least half a day. Location beds in a sunny location accelerate germination in the spring and summer ripening heads. It is also important that the area was dry, waterlogged ground water and was possibly on a raised platform. If you place the bed into a valley or on a slope, rain water can stagnate, leading to rotting bulbs.
Garlic matter who was his predecessor in the garden. Culture thrives on the site where once grew beans, cucurbits, greens, cabbage. An important condition is a high-yield crop rotation.
It should not be planted garlic for two years in one place. In addition, the return to the former bed of garlic only after 3-4 years.
Prepare garlic for planting
Preparing winter garlic for planting does not take much time and effort, because freshly harvested crop is used for sowing. In this case, the main objective is only seed disinfection (teeth).
First you need to select the highest-quality, well-dried onion, very carefully divide them into the teeth, being careful not to damage the seed. For planting should be selected large or medium-sized teeth. Small items not worth planting, as they can simply do not germinate, or will be significantly behind in growth.
Two solutions are sequentially used for disinfection of Teeth:
- first salt (3 tablespoons of salt / water 5 l.) - tine therein maintained for 2 minutes;
- then tine placed in copper sulphate solution (1 tbsp. spoon powder / 10 liters of water) and allowed to stand for 1 minute.
Following these simple procedures garlic are planted in the prepared soil.
Planting winter garlic need for 1-1.5 months before the onset of the first frost. This time is enough to have teeth sprouted roots and penetrated deep into the soil at 10-12 cm, but the shoots did not have time to appear. For regions with temperate climates planting period is the end of September - beginning of October. In the northern regions of winter garlic can be planted after the 20th of September, and in the south - after October 10th. With the term of planting, it is desirable not to lose as early sown garlic can germinate before the cold weather, and planted late - freeze.
The very process of planting is as follows:
- On dug and tucked fertilizers longitudinal groove make a bed depth of 8 cm at a distance of 20 cm from each other.
- At the bottom of the furrow pour a little sand or ash. This procedure is necessary in order to protect the teeth from direct contact with the soil, and thereby prevent them from rotting.
- Further planting tine garlic Donets down at a distance of 10-12 cm for large specimens, and 8-10 for smaller.
- Planting tine so that the distance to the soil surface was 5.4 cm.
- Then planted his teeth covered with soil and lightly tamped.
If you are planting garlic in the wet soil - watering is not necessary. If it so happened that the land is very dry autumn, the seedbed can be poured.
The care is no big deal for the winter garlic. All main activities are postponed until the spring and autumn only need a bed to sleep in humus or peat, which will serve as the plant not only fertilizer, but also a reliable shelter from the cold. The beds are covered with a 2-cm layer of organic matter that will take place 2-3 weeks after planting teeth.
As the shoots of garlic planted in the fall, appear very early - as soon as the snow melts and the soil warms up to 5-6 ° C, and the care of the beds begins in early spring. When the first shoots of garlic will, a bed must be loosened to a depth of 2-3 cm and re-mulch with peat or humus.
Sprinkled with garlic beds throughout May and June, and in July, for 2-4 weeks prior to harvesting, waterings stop. Watering is necessary as soil drying. irrigation rates depend on the weather:
- if the temperature is moderate, watering is performed 1 time per 8-10 days at 10-12 l / m;
- when the weather is very hot and there is no rain, the beds are watered more often - 1 every 3-5 days;
- in rainy weather, garlic does not need watering.
During the whole spring period and until July garlic needs a dressing which can combine with irrigation. Basic fertilizing should be at least three:
- first carried out when the plants reach the 3-4 leaves - uses liquid mullein, or special soluble fertilizer is poured from a watering per 2-3 liters of solution / m² 1;
- second time dressing is spent somewhere in 2 weeks after the first - the plants watered with a solution nitrophosphate, which is diluted at a ratio of 2 tablespoons. spoons / 10 l of water, the flow rate is 3 liters / m² 1;
- last winter garlic fed at the beginning of July, approximately 2 weeks prior to digging bulbs - used superphosphate at the rate of 2 tablespoons. spoons / l 10 species per 1 m² consume 3-4 liters of solution.
Winter garlic quite resistant to diseases, but occasionally affect microbial diseases such as powdery mildew, rust, or attacking pests: mites, caterpillars, mole crickets, moths. For the prevention of this scourge plants can be sprayed with a solution of ash whey.
Use insecticides garlic is not recommended, as it quickly absorbs from the soil not only nutrients but also poisonous.
This is a video on how to plant garlic in the fall winter, how to choose the best time of planting, prepare the soil for planting, etc.