- 1 How and what drilling stoneware tiles
- 2 How and what to drill granite?
- 3 How to drill granite: description, tips, rules
How and what drilling stoneware tiles
Drilling stoneware tiles harder to ordinary tiles. For making holes it is important to choose the right way otherwise spoil not only the tool, but also nerves.
Due to the high strength required special nozzle
- resistance to abrasion and mechanical damage;
- exceptional strength;
- low coefficient of water absorption;
- a variety of textures and colors;
- confrontation slip.
Drilling durable material is not easy
Porcelain tiles has other advantages as compared with other types of tile, but it is these characteristics influence the process of cutting and drilling.
High-quality granite is so durable that about him breaking tool.
The tile is manufactured as a more advanced alternative to natural granite. In its composition it contains the same components, but in optimal proportions and without contaminants. This ensures its uniformity and high strength. Such a coating is hard to scratch, it is able to withstand shock, moisture does not accumulate and does not slide due to the rough structure. The surface texture is often that the more difficult the processing.
For drilling in tiles are used to punch off shock function or drill. Screwdriver is also suitable, if enough power for the rotation of the nozzle. Desirable opportunity to adjust the speed.
Conventional drills often can not cope with the processing of granite. It is better to use other tools:
- with pobeditovye soldering;
- pen made of hard material;
- tubular drill.
Right hole made using soldering nozzle with pobeditovye
In an industrial environment use waterjet cutting method. If you must perform a large number of holes is advisable to seek such services to a specialized firm. Treat stoneware tiles only carbide products. Ideal - the diamond plating. The method is used in the manufacture of crowns and tubular drills. There are two main options. Cheaper nozzles plated diamond coating, however, the lower price is due to low-quality products. With it, no more than 5-6 drill holes. If you have to work with large volumes, use sintered goal. The price of such a drill bit higher, but the margin of safety will be enough up to 100 times.
- Use of the substrate. To avoid damaging the desktop is recommended to apply an additional layer of particle board or plywood, it will protect against accidental damage to property.
- The fixing material and the tool. Handle this tile is hard, it is important to comply with the same position of the drill and at the same time ensure that the granite is not moved on the table. For convenience, fix it. Special machines are also used for securing the drill.
- drilling direction. Treat only the tile from the front side, it minimizes the chance of chipping and cracking. The surface should appear perfectly even after severe machining, but the back of the condition may be any, as defects still hide glue solution.
- Designation boundaries. For convenience, it is recommended to circle the size of future openings and identify the center point or circle. Do this using a drill or other sharp object manually. Thus it will be easier to fix the nozzle and prevent it from sliding in the beginning of the process.
- Using a template. Even more convenient is the use of the workpiece with a hole of the desired diameter. For this purpose, take a piece of particle board, wood or plywood. Due to the pattern is much easier to fix the tool and observe the exact contours of the hole.
- Rotational speed. To control the packing process and the integrity of the drill tiles on low speeds, it minimizes abrasion, and the drill will prevent overload.
- The use of water. Intense friction heats the tool, which has a negative effect on its properties, so treat the tile on the wet surface and the nozzle is further cooled with water. Add a liquid directly onto the treatment area or dip drill.
- Glubina.Chtoby keep the tool and save time, make a hole at 2/3 thickness, and then just knock out the cork. The reverse side will be damaged, but in most cases it does not matter.
To drill does not slip, the position of the drill must be strictly perpendicular to the work surface
Before drilling granite arrange your patterns. This will greatly facilitate the task to you, besides it is used an unlimited number of times.
Take a small piece of useless wood, particleboard, plywood, drywall, and even for the manufacture of the template. Move it next hole sizes. Drill blank the same nozzle to be used for the tiles.
The application template allows to perform the most precise and beautiful hole
Attach the prepared mold on the front side so that the contours of the basting and pattern matches.
To work is not slid, fix it on the tile by using clips or adhesive tape.
Start drilling. Once the attachment will deepen in the tile to a sufficient distance, remove the template and continue to work without him. Despite the fact that the drill granite is not so simple, in compliance with the rules and recommendations of the job done, everyone can.
Please write your opinion about the article. You can point out errors, ask a question or leave a review.
It is very important to know the opinion of every visitor!
Copying site materials is allowed only if active link to the source.
How and what to drill granite?
Gres has qualities such as high abrasion resistance and unique strength. These characteristics create some difficulties in processing the material. It is important to note also high brittleness, which completely eliminates the possibility of mechanical influence in the form of strikes. The outer and inner paneling is secured by a mechanical fastener which is installed in the holes of different diameter. Therefore, for drilling porcelain tiles used a variety of tools.
If you raise the question of what to drill granite, it is worth paying attention to the list of tools that are used in carrying out such works. This should include a machine for drilling, a special rack and two-speed drill. For the treatment of artificial stone experts recommend the use of certain kinds of drills and bits, the most common ones are:
- diamond drills;
- Crowns diamond plated plated;
- sintered ring drills.
If, then you should consider all the options in front of you is still the question of what to drill granite. The latter include the tools that are used in working with concrete. With annular drill can be done about 100 holes, but they will have weak spots. We should mention the duration of the creation of holes, which takes about 5 minutes, as well as high mechanical pressure. If you prefer a diamond coated crown with, you should know that they are not as common. They can be found in the thickness of the walls.
Depending on the diameter of the hole must select a particular crown width. This option is now regarded as the most affordable in economic terms. Diamond crowns allow to obtain large holes for electrical outlets. Quite often handyman thinking about what to drill granite.
You can choose your diamond drills, which are characterized by a high content of grains, the latter have a high strength. This tool allows you to get a hole of the required diameter. Thus, an 8-mm articles can be drilled in only 40 seconds. If you use a diamond drill with accessories that can be done up to 350 holes. If, however, requires more than an impressive diameter, it is necessary to apply the core drills.
Quite often in life, the question arises, what to drill granite. If necessary to lay tiles through a plastic cable duct or pipe to be used carbide or diamond drill. The shape of the tip thus can be very different.
What else you need to know about tools for drilling porcelain tiles?
Drilling of porcelain tiles only need to use special tools. Diamond bits, which are described above, have a low cost, that price is their main advantage. When drilling with their help it is possible to reduce the mechanical pressure and impressive increase process speed. If we consider the cons of crowns, it is necessary to allocate a small working life. In the presence of granite have, a thickness of 8 mm, using a diamond bit electroplated plated can only five drill holes.
The sintered ring drills are most often used not for granite and concrete and other durable materials. The thickness of the working part of the drill can be 2 mm or more. Such drills are used less frequently, and the lack of them - low drilling speed. But despite the drawbacks, diamond drills have advantages, which are expressed in a working resource exceeding resource crowns.
Recommendations for drilling granite
Once you have decided to drill in granite in the home, it is advisable to become better acquainted with the technology of the process. You must begin to work with the front part. If you want to save the resource drill, the holes are performed by only 2/3 thickness of the product, and then the remainder of the knocked a sharp blow. Thus it is possible to face the formation of cracks and chips. For them to be hidden, it is necessary to start working exclusively from the front.
Can be drilled drelnoy granite counter or a special drilling machine. This will allow to extend the service life of the drill and simplify the work of the master, while the holes are neat and smooth. Drill two-speed should be as high rotational speed is required when drilling granite. From the impact drill is better to give, and if you neglect these recommendations, the tiles can crack. Before you start drilling, you should put a plywood or hardboard, and you avoid damage to the surface of the drill bit. The latter should be directed vertically in the process should be deleted strong inclination operation member with respect to the product. If we admit this mistake, the drill bit will be damaged, and the tiles will be damaged.
If you drill holes in granite, it should be remembered that the diamond drill in use can become very hot. In order to avoid the formation of microscopic cracks and destruction of the tiles, they must be cooled. The problem can be solved by supplying water to the drill bit. To prevent heating it is necessary to work at medium speed.
When the granite is cut in an industrial environment, the coolant is supplied continuously. In everyday life, the drill can be cooled with water from a bottle. The cover for this to be done, small openings through which water will be supplied to drill. Some artists come even easier: they cool the heated surface with a drill beforehand moistened sponge.
Every handyman sooner or later wondering about how to drill granite. If you have completed the work properly, the tiles will fall out of the drilled portion which repeats the drill diameter. If the back of the product were chipped, then there is nothing wrong with their master filled with adhesive, which does not affect the quality of packing decoration.
It is best to carry out the work to prepare a powerful drill, which will be able to be installed on small turnover, this approach will significantly minimize wear on the drill. Experts advise to install a drill on a special rack or use the machine. This will simplify and speed up the work, as well as extend the life of the drill. Drilling is best to install the tiles on a flat hard surface, the pressure in this case must be minimized.
If necessary in a tile of porcelain to make a hole whose diameter exceeds 6 cm, first use a smaller drill deepened in its product at 2/3. After drilling is continued with a larger diameter tool. Depending on what kind of hole diameter needs to be done, it is possible to use one of the nozzles, namely, a tubular drill bit, the drill usual, diamond crown or pen.
How to drill granite: description, tips, rules
Porcelain tiles are actively used in modern construction. It is considered the most durable material for facing, it has a large number of colors. But there are problems. During the laying of this material may be a need to drill a hole. But as the porcelain is fragile, then this, of course, there are difficulties. Few people know how to drill granite correctly. We will try to help sort out this issue.
First of all, you need to competently select a tool.
Selecting a tool for drilling granite
- special machine for drilling;
- special rack for drilling;
- two-speed drill.
When you select the latter, turn off the percussion mode. Otherwise, you may damage the ceramic granite tiles.
Crowns and drills for drilling granite
Experts recommend apply to certain types of granite drilling and drill bits. All these are three types:
- diamond crowns with galvanic deposition;
- Sintered diamond circular drills;
- diamond drills.
Dwell in each embodiment.
Diamond crowns with galvanic deposition - it is a budget option. they differ in wall thickness. If necessary, the crown can be used with thinner walls. Its service life is less than that of the thick-walled counterparts, but the mechanical pressure, if used, is much lower.
Sintered diamond ring drills also used for drilling granite. Still, they are used for such durable structures as concrete. But the mechanical pressure in such cases is very high and these drills are rarely used. On the downside is the fact that the creation of a hole takes a very long time (three to five minutes). The undoubted advantage of the sintered ring drills a long service life (at least a hundred holes).
A good option for drilling porcelain are diamond drills. They are very durable, long time serve his master. The tool high concentration of diamond grains. drilling holes in porcelain stoneware speed is very high. For example, with a material thickness of 8 mm, to create a hole it is took 30-50 seconds. When using specialized equipment such drill can drill 350 holes.
Depending on the diameter of the desired hole, the following types of nozzles:
There are a few general rules that should be pointed out in response to the question: how to drill granite:
- The work is necessary to use a powerful drill. Hole drilling is necessary at low speeds. This approach will reduce the risk of damage to the tiles and the wear of the drill.
- Drilling is necessary only on the front side.
- To cool the drill need to constantly add water. Industrially, uninterrupted supply of water is carried out with special equipment. The home will be enough to pour water on the drill bit out of the ordinary plastic bottle.
- Drilling is performed on a solid surface. It must always be equal. The drill should be kept strictly perpendicular porcelain stoneware.
- Pressure should not be strong, otherwise the tiles could crack.
- If the hole diameter of 6 mm, then pre-hole must be made smaller (it is possible not through). This should be done to ensure that there were no chips.
- It is advisable to put a granite piece of plywood or fiberboard - it will protect the work surface from damage drill.
Cutting tiles - enough time-consuming process and has its own characteristics. But, if desired, it can overpower everyone. The article describes the various tools for cutting tile and ceramic tile.